Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act) gives members of the community a legal right to access documents and information, created after 1 January 1989, that are in Council's possession. This is achieved by:
- Making available, the public information about the Council's operations.
- Creating a general right of access to documented information.
The right of access is only limited under exceptions and exemptions where documents are considered to be protected in the best interests of the public, or private and/or business affairs.
Personal documents relating to individuals (regardless of the age of the document/s), may be accessed and amended on request.
Requirements for FOI Requests
All requested under the FOI Act must be:
- Made in writing.
- Accompanied by an application fee (unless waived or reduced because of hardship).
- Sufficiently clear and specific so that Council staff can conduct a thorough search for the documents/information.
The current non-refundable application fee is $27.20 (until 30 June 2016) and will be $27.90 (effective from 1 July 2016). Other charges may apply for photocopying and searching, and are set out in the Freedom of Information (Access Charges) Regulations 2014 (the Regulations).
Where a decision is made to refuse or defer access, you will be notified in writing of the reasons for the refusal and the procedures available to appeal the decision.
Making an FOI Request
It is recommended that you discuss your request with the Freedom of Information Officer at Council before you submit an FOI request, as some information and documents are already available without the need for an application under the FOI Act.
You can contact the Freedom of Information Officer by calling 5624 2427.
If you wish to make an FOI request, there are a number of ways you can do this.
Alternatively, you can download, print and complete the hardcopy FOI request form in the Related Information Section directly below, and either:
- Send it by post to: The Freedom of Information Officer, Baw Baw Shire Council, PO Box 304, Warragul, VIC 3820.
- Submit it in person over the counter at one of our Customer Service Centres.
Paying the Application Fee
The application fee for an FOI request needs to be paid before Council can action the request.
Payment can be made:
- Over the phone - Pay by Credit Card by calling our Customer Service Centre on 5624 2411.
- By post - Attach a cheque or a money order to your hardcopy application form.
- In person - Pay by EFTPOS, Credit Card, Cash, Cheque or Money Order when you submit your hardcopy application form over the counter at any of our Customer Service Centres.
For more information and enquiries about the Freedom of Information Act and procedures, call the Freedom of Information Officer on 5624 2427.