Run by Sustainability Victoria, Detox Your Home is a safe, free service to dispose of toxic, unwanted household chemicals.
Mobile drop-off days are scheduled at Council-owned locations around Victoria, usually on a Saturday.
Farm chemicals are not accepted at this collection.
Collection dates and times for mobile collections can be found on the Detox Your Home website.
Upcoming Detox your Home Mobile Collections
There are currently no Detox your Home events planned. Information regarding future Detox your Home events will be available on the Sustainability Victoria website.
Permanent Collection Facilities
A permanent collection facility is located at the Morwell Transfer Station, Porters Street Morwell, phone 1300 367 700.
Acceptable Items for Permanent Chemical Collection
Permanent facilities only accept a limited range of household chemicals products including:
- Motor oil
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent globes
- Barbecue gas cylinders up to 9 kg (check with facility)
Unacceptable Items for Permanent Chemical Collection
- Containers larger than 20 litres
- LPG gas automotive fuel tanks
- Chemicals used for commercial and industrial purposes
- Household chemicals not listed in the previous bullet points
Contact the operator to confirm the following before travelling to a permanent site:
- The range of chemical products accepted
- Any limits on the amount of chemicals you can drop without charge
- Opening days and times
This service is not available for commercial operators. Businesses should contact a chemical waste disposal service provider listed on Sustainability Victoria’s Services and Advice page or by checking the Yellow Pages.
For more information about the Detox Your Home Program, you can download Sustainability Victoria’s Frequently Asked Questions in the Related Information section at the bottom of this page.