I would like to extend my outdoor trading, where do I get started?
To make sure the process is as streamlined as possible for our local business community we have developed a simple process to get you started.
- Step One: Have a look at the checklist below to ensure you have everything ready to get started.
- Step Two: Contact our Business Support Service on 1300 BAW BAW to discuss your proposal and how we can support you to get trading.
- Step Three: Submit your application! To enable trade as soon as possible we are committed to prioritising all outdoor dining applications.
We understand outdoor dining may look a little different from business to business so please reach out to our Business Support Service who will assist with getting you started.
Checklist for Outdoor Trading
Council has developed a simple checklist for businesses to get started:
- You have read and understand the requirements set out for your business by the Victorian Government. For further information on these guidelines visit Department Health and Human Services.
- You have developed and and implemented a COVID Safe Plan for your business to protect your staff, customers, and visitors. For assistance preparing a COVID Safe Plan Business Victoria has some great resources you can find at www.business.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-safe-business/covid-safe-plan, if you would like any further support please reach out to our Business Support Service on 1300 BAW BAW
- Think about your business and how many customers you can accommodate and the resources you will need to support them. Any decision to undertake outdoor trading will impact (hopefully positively!) on your business and ensuring you have the staff; physical resources and the financial viability will set you up for success. Please note, we can only allow outdoor trading up to your business’ permitted number of patrons.
- Have a think about your neighbours, if you would like to extend your outdoor trade be sure to have a chat with them, we encourage our community to keep working together throughout these times.
- Consider your customers – Council has a responsibility to ensure the safety and amenity of our community. Access to and around your business should be considered and accommodate the needs of all members of our community. For information on the Footpath Trading Zone please visit www.bawbawshire.vic.gov.au/Your-Business/Footpath-Trading-and-Signs
- Get out a pen and paper and draw your site plan, your application can be processed faster with a clear plan of your outdoor trading. Having a perfect drawing is not a requirement, however if you can indicate your current area of trade, where you would like to extend to and if you are required to increase your red line, be sure to include that as well.
- Council will also ask you to nominate a start and end date for the temporary permit to be applied for. Consider what the next step looks like for your business and apply for a permit to support your business until trade starts to look normal again. Council will be providing extension of outdoor dining approvals until 28 February 2020.
- You are required to provide a current Certificate of Liability for up to $10 million with your application. We would also suggest contacting your insurer to make sure the extension of trade is still covered by your policy.
- And last, but probably the most important step in the process is to get in touch with our Business Support Service to discuss your proposal. We can take you through the form, answer any questions you may have and support you through the process of commencing outdoor trade.
Can I temporarily extend my liquor licence?
The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Licencing (VCGLR) have introduced a streamlined approach to help existing licensees temporarily use outdoor areas to supply liquor as outlined in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap to reopening.
Existing licensees will first need written permission from their local Council to use public external/outdoor areas that are not currently authorised under the licensee’s existing permanent liquor licence.
Once you have Council permission to use the outdoor area, and you subsequently apply for a temporary limited licence (outdoor area temp licence) this may be granted and a licence issued to you that allows the supply of liquor in the outdoor area
There is no fee associated with applying for an outdoor area temp licence from the VCGLR.
When completing your application you will be asked if you are seeking to obtain an extension to your existing liquor licence if you answer yes and you have provided the required information Council will supply you with a letter of support with your approved permit.
This letter can then be sent to the VCGLR for consideration to increase your liquor licence.
For more information please visit www.vcglr.vic.gov.au/covid-19
Waiver of Fees and Charges
Baw Baw Shire Council has removed all fees associated with footpath trading and outdoor eating to support our local business community to continue to operate during the impacts of COVID-19.
Additional support for current permit holders will also be offered.
Application to Temporarily Extend Footpath Trading
If you would like to extend your footpath trading permit, please complete the form below.
Click here to apply online for a temporary extension of outdoor dining/trading.