Council does not approve or issue permits for fireworks.

If you are running an event, ensure that any contractor you have hired holds a current pyrotechnician license from WorkSafe Victoria and liability insurance cover. The pyrotechnics contractor that you engage is responsible for completing a ‘Notification of Intention to Discharge Fireworks’.

This is a WorkSafe Victoria form and requires that notification is sent to:

  • Victorian WorkCover Authority
  • The Country Fire Authority and;
  • Baw Baw Shire Council

You also need to retain a copy for inspection.

We recommend that the contractor you engage be a member of the Australian Pyrotechnics Association or the Pyrotechnics Industry Association of Australia.

Visit the fireworks page on the Worksafe Victoria website for further details.

Report illegal fireworks

To report illegal use of fireworks contact Victoria Police if the matter is urgent, or Worksafe Victoria on 1800 136 089.

Fireworks are banned from use by the general public as they can cause serious injury and even death.

Fines apply for possession or discharge of illegal fireworks.