Environmental Grants and Rebates

Council offers numerous environmentally focused grants and rebates to ratepayers. Click below for information and application details.

Worm Farm and Compost Bin Rebate

Ratepayers are eligible for a 100 per cent rebate of up to $100 on the purchase of a compost bin or worm farm (conditions apply, see below). This means if you spend $50 you will get back $50 or if you spend $120 you will only get back $100.

NOTE: This offer is only available once per residence for the lifetime of the property (with the exception of a change of ownership).

Compost Bins or Worm Farms

Any compost bin or worm farm is acceptable however it is not acceptable for you buy materials to build your own.

Terms and Conditions

  1. The compost bin must be purchased new and an application submitted between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.
  2. The rebate is available to Baw Baw Shire ratepayers only and the compost bin/worm farm must be installed at the applicant's primary place of residence.
  3. There are a limited number of rebates available and Baw Baw Shire Council reserves the right to cancel the compost bin rebate should the scheme reach its maximum budget allocation.
  4. Complete and sign the application form and attach a copy of your receipt of purchase, along with a copy of the top of your bank statement showing only your name, BSB and account details.  Return to bawbaw@bawbawshire.vic.gov.au. Alternatively, the form can dropped off at our Customer Service Centres in Warragul and Drouin.
  5. Baw Baw Shire Council will only pay one rebate per residence to a maximum of $100 for the lifetime of the property (with the exception of change in ownership).  

Click here to download the Compost Bin or Worm Farm Rebate Application Form.(PDF, 89KB)

Alternatively, it can be picked up at any Baw Baw Shire Council Customer Service Centre or requested from the Waste Management Officer on 5624 2465.

Submit your application at any Customer Service Centre or by mail to Baw Baw Shire Council, P.O. Box 304, Warragul 3820.

Rural Tree Grants

The aim of the program is to provide rural landowners and community groups with funds for native tree planting projects, for rehabilitation of existing native vegetation, wildlife corridors, shelterbelts or waterways.

For relevant details refer to the Funding Guidelines on the Rural Tree Grant Application Form(PDF, 3MB) or email the Natural Environment team.

Rural Weed Control Grants

Weed control grants are available to help new landholders and community groups control Declared Noxious weeds on private and adjoining public land.

Declared Noxious weeds are plants which have been listed under the Catchment and Land Protection Act with the requirement for a landholder to control or eradicate these weeds.

Funding Categories

Funding is available for the following categories of approved weed control works:

  • Purchasing herbicide if the landowner holds a current Agricultural Users Permit (ACUP)
    • (Maximum funding - $50 for properties below 5 Ha, $100 for properties over 5 Ha or community groups)
  • Hiring contractors – To be eligible funding, landowners must employ a licensed spray contractor:

    Maximum funding:

    • $50 for properties between 0.5 Ha and 2 Ha
    • $100 for properties between 2 Ha and 5 Ha
    • $200 for properties over 5 Ha or community groups. 

Eligibility criteria

The grant is available for new landowners in rural areas and community groups, for example Landcare and "friends of" groups within Baw Baw Shire that clearly demonstrate a need for funding.

Preference will be given to landholders who meet the following selection criteria:

  • The landholder has recently purchased a property with historic problems with Declared Noxious weeds such as blackberries, thistles and ragwort
  • The landholder will be working with neighbours or community groups – Landcare or Friends Groups to control weeds on a larger scale
  • The landholder wishes to control significant weeds in areas of high biodiversity value such as bushland or crown land adjoining their property

Only one grant is available per landowner and is limited to annual funding availability

Use of Chemicals

  • Always consider natural or chemical free options first, for example - grazing animals, slashing.
  • The chemical must be registered for use to control the targeted weed.
  • The chemical must be used at the application rate and in the prescribed manner as directed on the chemical label.
  • To ensure safe and efficient use, the chemical should be applied in accordance with the Code of Good Practice for Farm Chemical Spray Application.
  • Always refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet prior to using chemicals.
  • All safety precautions must be taken, including the wearing of protective clothing, appropriate storage and disposal of the chemical and ensuring there is no off-target damage.
  • Choose the chemical that will do the job, be the least toxic to the operator, and most beneficial to insects, including bees, and the environment.
  • Some chemicals are classified ‘restricted use’ (e.g. Grazon, Garlon) and legally require the person applying the chemical to have a current ACUP.

Preferred agricultural supplier

  • Brown and Wigg, 125 North Rd, Warragul. Ph: 56236911
  • Yarragon Grain and Produce, 147 Queen St Warragul, Main Rd Neerim Sth, 7 Mile Rd Trafalgar. Ph: 56232434

Listed spray contractors

  • Bayles Spraying, Bayles. Ph: 0438135924
  • Dale Morris, Seaview. Ph: 0409106108
  • Gippsland and Metro Spraying, Warragul. Ph: 0407863123
  • JGH Contracting, Rokeby. Ph: 0438045309
  • G and A Spraying, Morwell. Ph: 0420684225
  • Habitat Creations, Yarragon. Ph: 0409783866

Application Process

You can apply either by completing the online application form below, or by downloading and printing the application form(PDF, 85KB) and submitting it in hard copy to a Council Customer Service Centre.

If successful, the applicant will be notified by phone or email within two weeks of submitting the application.

A copy of form will be sent to nominated supplier / contractor.

Successful applicants will need to collect herbicide from local suppliers.

When works are complete the supplier / contractor will invoice council for payment

Online Form