Weed control grants are available to help new landholders and community groups control Declared Noxious weeds on private and adjoining public land.
Declared Noxious weeds are plants which have been listed under the Catchment and Land Protection Act with the requirement for a landholder to control or eradicate these weeds.
Funding is available for the following categories of approved weed control works:
Purchasing herbicide if the landowner holds a current Agricultural Users Permit (ACUP)
Supply is limited to non-restricted herbicides such as Metsulfuron methyl for control of blackberries and ragwort. Some herbicides are classified ‘restricted use’ (eg. Garlon and Grazon) and legally require the person applying the chemical to have an Agricultural Chemical Users Licence (ACUP). These will only be available to those who have a current ACUP.
A disclaimer will need to be signed by the applicant to acknowledge that:
As the recipient of the herbicide the Indemnifier (you) agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, and to hold harmless the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, arising out of, or in relation to the Indemnifier’s performance or purported performance as the recipient of the herbicide as supplied by the Council and is directly related to negligent acts, errors or omissions of the Indemnifier. The Indemnifier’s liability to indemnify the Council will be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act of omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.
(Maximum funding - $50 for properties below 5 Ha, $100 for properties over 5 Ha or community groups).
To be eligible funding, landowners must employ a licensed spray contractor.
- $50 for properties between 0.5 Ha and 2 Ha
- $100 for properties between 2 Ha and 5 Ha
- $200 for properties over 5 Ha or community groups.
The grant is available for new landowners in rural areas and community groups, for example Landcare and "friends of" groups within Baw Baw Shire that clearly demonstrate a need for funding.
Preference will be given to landholders who meet the following selection criteria:
- The landholder has recently purchased a property with historic problems with Declared Noxious weeds such as blackberries, thistles and ragwort
- The landholder will be working with neighbours or community groups – Landcare or Friends Groups to control weeds on a larger scale
- The landholder wishes to control significant weeds in areas of high biodiversity value such as bushland or crown land adjoining their property
Only one grant is available per landowner and is limited to annual funding availability
Use of Chemicals
- Always consider natural or chemical free options first, for example - grazing animals, slashing.
- The chemical must be registered for use to control the targeted weed.
- The chemical must be used at the application rate and in the prescribed manner as directed on the chemical label.
- To ensure safe and efficient use, the chemical should be applied in accordance with the Code of Good Practice for Farm Chemical Spray Application.
- Always refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet prior to using chemicals.
- All safety precautions must be taken, including the wearing of protective clothing, appropriate storage and disposal of the chemical and ensuring there is no off-target damage.
- Choose the chemical that will do the job, be the least toxic to the operator, and most beneficial to insects, including bees, and the environment.
- Some chemicals are classified ‘restricted use’ (e.g. Grazon, Garlon) and legally require the person applying the chemical to have a current ACUP.
Preferred agricultural supplier
- Brown and Wigg, 125 North Rd, Warragul. Ph: 56236911
- Yarragon Grain and Produce, 147 Queen St Warragul, Main Rd Neerim Sth, 7 Mile Rd Trafalgar. Ph: 56232434
Listed spray contractors
- Bayles Spraying, Bayles. Ph: 0438135924
- Dale Morris, Seaview. Ph: 0409106108
- Gippsland and Metro Spraying, Warragul. Ph: 0407863123
- JGH Contracting, Rokeby. Ph: 0438045309
- G and A Spraying, Morwell. Ph: 0420684225
- Habitat Creations, Yarragon. Ph: 0409783866
You can apply either by completing the online application form below, or by downloading and printing the application form(PDF, 77KB) and submitting it in hard copy to a Council Customer Service Centre.
If successful, the applicant will be notified by phone or email within two weeks of submitting the application.
A copy of form will be sent to nominated supplier / contractor.
Successful applicants will need to collect herbicide from local suppliers.
When works are complete the supplier / contractor will invoice council for payment