Traffic Management


If you would like to access or use Council's road reserves (roads, footpaths or nature strips) to conduct works or hold events that will affect the flow and operation of vehicular, cycling and pedestrian traffic, you will need to submit the following documentation: 

  • A traffic management plan that includes a traffic guidance scheme (map)

Completed documentation can be submitted to:

Contact: Civil Asset Planning Team


Telephone: 03 5624 2411

Please allow 10 working days for processing. Any changes you require to your submitted TMP will add an additional 5 days for processing. You will be required to conduct public notification prior to carrying out the works or events. 

Traffic Management Plan Requirements

Council does not provide guidance on Traffic Management Plans; all applicants should seek out a suitably qualified traffic management plan consultant for the design.  

The Person/s conducting the works is responsible for ensuring the traffic management plan is in line with the Road Safety Act 1986 and Road Management Act 2004 any other Act relevant to the works being undertaken in place at the time of the works.  

The person/s conducting the works is responsible for undertaking regular site audits during the works to ensure compliance with the submitted TMP. 

Please note: From 1 March 2024, all temporary traffic management personnel are required to have the updated training qualifications outlined in the new Code of Practice under part 8 of the Austroads Guide to Temporary Traffic Management (AGTTM).

Previous training qualifications held before 1 March 2024, will remain valid until they expire.

For more information, please refer to the provided link below:

New traffic management training in Victoria : VicRoads


To determine if you need additional permits for events, contact or visit our web page Things to Do for further information.

For on road cycling events, the applicant must provide an Event Management Plan as stipulated in VicRoads On Road Cycling Events Guide. Information related to cycling events can be found on the website below. 

Getting permission for your event : VicRoads 

Construction, Maintenance, Works and Civil Projects

If you are conducting any construction or maintenance works within the road reserve on a Council road, you will also need to apply for the following permits (unless exempt): 

  • Works Within Road Reserve Permit; and/or 

  • Asset Protection Permit. 

Please contact Council’s Asset Protection team regarding these permits either by email, phone 03 5624 2411 or visit Council's web page Crossovers and Road Reserves for further information. 

Utility Companies and Bodies

Utility and service companies are exempt from providing Traffic Management Plans as stipulated in the Road Management (Works and Infrastructure) Regulations 2015 S.R. No. 61/2015f for emergency works only. All other works require an approved TMP. 

You can inform Council of any emergency works by email to or formally submit a TMP via the process above.

Works or events on roads under VicRoads responsibility

Consent must be obtained from VicRoads for all requests to access and utilise VicRoads arterial (main) roads. To check if a road is under the control and management of VicRoads refer to the website.

All Event Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) for arterial roads within Baw Baw Shire can be sent directly to VicRoads Eastern Regional Office (Traralgon). 


Phone: 13 11 70



All Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) for works on or affecting arterial roads within Baw Baw Shire need to use the online portal for processing.  

Please note if conducting construction or maintenance works within the road reserve on a VicRoads road, you will also need to apply for a Works Within Road Reserve Permit. Contact VicRoads for further information.