Burning Off and Permits


Burning off is used to minimise the risk of bushfire across the Shire in a safe manner and where alternative methods of vegetation waste disposal may not be practicable.

Council's Community Local Law 2016(PDF, 2MB) outlines what specifications, requirements and restrictions apply to each different property zone in Baw Baw Shire.

Alternatives to Burning Off

Whilst Council recognises the importance of reducing bushfire fuels, residents are strongly encouraged to consider and utilise all other alternative methods of vegetation waste disposal before burning off such as:

  • Green waste kerbside collection;
  • Composting and mulching of materials;
  • Disposal of green waste at Transfer Stations;
  • Utilising Council's Free Green Waste drop off days.

For more information on alternative vegetation waste disposal methods go to the Hard Waste webpage.


A permit may be required if the zone specific conditions and general provisions in the Community Local Law 2016(PDF, 2MB) cannot be met and burning off if is still necessary. 

When applying for a permit, consider:

  • A permit will not be granted if the material can be recycled or transported to a transfer station.
  • A permit will not be valid during the CFA declared Fire Danger Period, or on Total Fire Ban days and during DELWP’s Seasonal Prohibited Period.
  • The burning of industrial waste in the open is not permitted without written approval from Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA).
  • Fees apply: $55.30 per activity (or $221.20 per commercial activity) plus a $39.00 application fee.

Click here to apply online for an Open Air Burning Permit.

Alternatively, you may download a hard copy of the application form(PDF, 97KB).

Burning off during Fire Danger Period

The Fire Danger Period declaration is determined by the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and the dates vary each year dependant on the grass curing rate of each municipal district.

Burning off during the declared Fire Danger Period or on a day of Total Fire Ban is restricted under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958 and the Fire Rescue Victoria Act 1958.  Individuals intending to burn off during the declared Fire Danger Period will need to apply for a permit from the CFA. For more information go to the CFA website or contact District 9 Headquarters on 5624 1900.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) enforces fire restrictions during seasonal prohibited periods under the Forests Fire Protection Regulations (2014) over private land within 1.5 kilometres of public land in Baw Baw Shire. For more information go to DELWP Restriction Dates.

The DELWP restriction period dates generally coincide with those of the CFA's seasonal restrictions on burning off.