Wildlife and Reptiles
Snakes and Reptiles
The Council does not supply a service for the removal of reptiles, including snakes.
If you live in an area with snakes, please remember:
- When left alone, snakes present little or no danger to people.
- If you see a snake, keep calm and move yourself and anyone with you (including pets) away from the area.
- Don't attempt to capture or harm snakes. Instead call DELWP on 136 186 for further advice, or call a licensed snake catcher.
- Maintain lawns and clean up around your house, as snakes are attracted to shelter such as piles of rocks and timber, sheets of metal, and building materials.
- Undertake first aid training and ensure your first aid kit contains several compression bandages, and if someone is bitten, call 000 immediately.
Local snake catchers in our our area include:
- Geoff Lockwood - 0428 352 203 (Baw Baw, Cardinia Shire, Latrobe Valley)
- Richard Copeland - 0498 107 918 (Latrobe Valley, Baw Baw, Wellington)
If you come across injured, rescued or orphaned wildlife, please contact one of the following wildlife organisations who will care for the animal:
Visit the Department of Environment and Primary Industries website for more information regarding pest animals (e.g. foxes, hares).