Farm Rate Concessions


What is a Farm Rate concession?

The Farm Rate concession is available to owners of rateable land that meet Council’s definition of farm land. Eligibility for the Farm Rate is not determined by the zoning of the land under the Baw Baw Planning Scheme. In other words, the fact that the property is zoned “rural” does not mean that it will be eligible for the farm rate.

If there is some doubt in relation to your eligibility, you may be requested to provide detailed information about farming activities conducted on your property. This could be in the form of a profit and loss statement, a business plan, or stock number.

In determining whether or not a property is eligible for the Farm Rate concession, the primary use or activity must satisfy the Council criteria.

You may apply for the Farm Rate concession by printing and completing the Farm Rate Application(PDF, 235KB) and returning it to:

Team Leader Revenue Services
Baw Baw Shire Council
PO Box 304
Warragul VIC 3820

For further information please call the Rates team on 5624 2411.

Single Farm Enterprise Exemption

Where multiple parcels of farm land are used to operate a single farming enterprise, a person may only be required to pay the fixed charge once by applying for the single farming enterprise exemption. To apply, a person must submit Single Farm Enterprise Exemption form(PDF, 109KB), completed and signed to the Councils where the relevant properties are located. You must notify the Councils if the circumstances relating to your application change, as this may affect your eligibility for the exemption.

Farm Rate Survey

If you own a Farm Rated property, you might receive a Farm Rate Survey in the mail. Council has liaised with the Victorian Farmers Federation in putting it together and it helps us better understand the farming activities taking place across the Shire.

Frequently Asked Questions

Need some more information about the farm rate survey? Check out the frequently asked questions below. 

Why is the survey important?

Council is required to gather essential information on each property that currently receives discounted Farm Rate. The information assists Council in making informed decisions regarding application of this rate. For example, it can help identify properties that should be classed as Single Farm Enterprises and should receive reduced Fire Services Levy. It can also identify contiguous parcels of land that can be consolidated for rating purposes and save multiple Fire Services Levy being applied.  

Another important reason that Council undertakes the Farm Rate Survey is that it allows us to better understand what type of farming activities are undertaken in our municipality and allows for better planning and assistance in times of crisis (such as recent dairy crisis). 

When was the last survey undertaken?

The last Farm Rate survey was conducted in 2007. With ten years having passed, it's time for Council to take another look at the farming developments across the shire. Council has liaised with the Victorian Farmers Federation in composing the survey.

Who should complete the survey?

Owners of Farm Rated should complete the survey. If you own a Farm Rated property, you will receive a Farm Rate survey in the mail.

If you do not receive a survey and believe you should, or your property is not currently Farm Rated but you believe it should be, you can download and complete a copy of the Farm Rate Application(PDF, 235KB) and return it to:

Team Leader Revenue Services
Baw Baw Shire Council
PO Box 304
Warragul VIC 3820

What is a 'Single Farm Enterprise'?

Single Farm Enterprise is a term utilised for Fire Services Levies, it relates to more than one property being utilised for the same farming entity (i.e. Farms will receive more than one rates notice for properties used as one farm, sometimes in different municipalities)

What do I do if I am unable to obtain a Registered Accountant Verification Statement?

The survey encourages verification by a registered accountant, however completion of a statutory declaration is an acceptable alternative.