Family Violence Scheme - Fines Assistance
The Family Violence Scheme supports people affected by family violence within the fines system.
The scheme allows you to apply to have your fines withdrawn if family violence substantially contributed to the offence or it is not safe for you to name the responsible person.
You can access the scheme if:
- you are a victim of family violence, and
- the family violence was one of the main reasons why you were unable to:
- control the conduct for which you received the fine, or
- name the driver that committed the offence.
Please note that there are two types of infringements that do not qualify for the Family Violence Scheme:
How to apply
Complete the Family Violence Scheme application form.
Your application must:
- be in writing (you can type into the application form)
- provide your current postal address
- list the eligible fines you want included
- explain how being a victim of family violence substantially contributed to you getting the fine
- provide evidence to support your application.
Fines Victoria's Guide to the Family Violence Scheme provides detailed guidance on what evidence to include.
Where can I get more information?
- You can call 1300 019 983. Trained staff are available to take your call Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except public holidays).
- You can visit the Family Violence Scheme website
- You can visit Ground Floor, 277 William Street, Melbourne VIC 3000