Baw Baw Shire currently has 30 School Crossings that have supervisors working on a part time permanent basis and 13 casual staff. School crossing supervisors work between the hours of 8.00am to 9.05am and 3.00pm to 4.15pm, varying at each school crossing depending on the location of the school to the crossing.
Crossing locations include:
- Longwarry – One crossing
- Drouin – Four crossings
- Buln Buln – One crossing
- Warragul – 10 crossings
- Willow Grove – One crossing
- Rawson – One crossing
- Yarragon – One crossing
- Trafalgar – 10 crossings
- Neerim - one crossing with a supervisor and one crossing without a supervisor.
There is a school crossing located in Thorpdale that is unsupervised.
School Crossing Safety Guidelines
- Children and adults who are crossing at a children’s crossing must comply with the supervisor’s directions.
- You must always stand behind the yellow/white line.
- Never follow the children’s crossing supervisor out onto the crossing – wait! They must go out first, when they have blown their whistle (2 short blasts) it is safe to cross.
- Do not ride bikes across the crossing, bounce a ball, fight, muck around or run – walk quickly and safely.
- Always stay within the lines of the crossing and walk in front of the supervisor (never behind them).
- The children’s crossing supervisor will always wait until it is safe before they walk out and blow their whistle.
- Cars are not allowed to park on or around the crossing. The crossing area is usually signed ‘No stopping’. The clearance around the crossing is for the safety of pedestrians (your school and your child).
- Always be alert and listen to what your children’s crossing supervisor says.
- Remember always cross at the children’s crossing when it is in operation.
Crossing supervisors need to have a clear field of vision in all directions around their crossing, so that they can spot approaching children and vehicles as soon as possible.
When approaching School Crossings, slow down to 40 km/h or less, watch for children and remember not to stop too close to the crossing. Look for parking restriction signs and make sure to obey them; school areas are patrolled by Council officers. A range of restrictions may apply according to the needs of the particular area.
The following rules are consistent at all school crossings:
- No stopping within 20 metres before a school crossing (unless signs say you can).
- No stopping within 10 metres after a school crossing (unless signs say you can).
- No stopping within 10 metres of an intersection (unless signs say you can).
School Crossing Signs
Most commonly a crossing is a legal crossing when two flags are in place, however in the event that a post is missing then one flag is required.
Typical signs you will see include:
- ‘No Stopping’ [No Standing] means, you cannot stop your vehicle for any purpose whatsoever, except unless to avoid a collision or obey a traffic control device such as a School Crossing Supervisors Stop sign. Dropping off a child in a ‘No Stopping’ area is an offence.
- ‘No Parking’ means the vehicle may stop for up to two minutes to pick up or drop off passengers. The driver of the vehicle must remain within three meters of the vehicle while stopped in the no parking area. Leaving the vehicle unattended in a no parking area is an offence.
- Bus Zones - this area is for buses only. Any vehicle other than a bus that is stopped or parked in a bus zone is committing an offence.
- Vehicles must be parked completely within marked bays on the road, where such bays exist.
Being a School Crossing Supervisor
To be successful in this role you must be of good character and have a high regard for the interest and safety of children.
A neat appearance, good communication skills, responsible attitude and confident demeanour will all help assert a Supervisor's position of authority on a crossing.
You will require vehicle and phone access, be willing to accept direction, participate in consultation sessions, and report regularly about matters affecting School Crossings. You will also be required to attend paid in-services training sessions and team meetings.
All School Crossing supervisors appointed to the position must also hold a current Working with Children Check.
For current positions available please go to Careers and Work Experience.