Cats - Registration and Responsibilities


All cats over the age of 3 months are required to be registered with Council. It is a State Government requirement that they are microchipped in order to register with Council. Please note that microchipping is different to Council registration.

Please note: Have your animal/s previously been registered in Baw Baw Shire? If so, we can reactivate your registration. There is no need to complete a new registration form. Please contact our Customer Service team for assistance. 

Registration fees


Fee (per animal)

Concession (Pension Cards Only)

Desexed cats (mandatory)



Entire cats kept for breeding at licenced premises




Entire cats registered and owner a current member with an approved association




Pet registrations may be transferred from another municipality (if they are in your name), free of charge, providing the animal is microchipped and proof of payment is provided.

Please ensure that your animal is wearing a registration tag at all times to assist in immediate identification and return.

If you require a replacement animal registration tag, one can be collected at a Customer Service Centre, or posted to you.

How to Pay your Pet Registration 

Before you start your registration make sure you have the following information handy, as you'll need it to complete the form below:

  • Your pets microchip number
  • Proof of desexing
  • Your pension card (if applicable)

All applicable organisation members must also provide proof of registration with the organisation, for each animal being registered and for themselves.

Registrations can be paid using the following methods:

Register your pet online.

Phone and Internet (Registration renewals only):

Phone 131 816, or go to the Postbill Pay website to pay now, or register to receive and pay your future bills on the internet. Credit card payment is not accepted over the phone. 

By Mail (New registrations or renewals):

A cheque or money order, made payable to Baw Baw Shire Council can be posted to PO Box 304, Warragul 3820, along with the slip from your registration form.  Please ensure you keep the top portion of the renewal form for your records as no receipt will be issued.

Please allow sufficient time for delivery as Council will not accept postal delays as a reason for late payment

In Person (New registrations): 

Present the registration notice with your payment at any Council Customer Service Centre to pay by cash, cheque, money order, credit card or EFTPOS.

Please ensure all information on the notice is correct. If there is an error, please correct the information and return the notice and payment to the Council. Please do not pay at the post office, via phone or internet if the information is incorrect.

Update Your Details

To help us reunite you with your cat, please ensure your contact details, including mobile phone numbers, are up to date. 

If you would like to change or updates your pet's registration details, you can do so by completing this online form

Details on how to update your cat’s microchip can be found on our Lost Animals page

Mandatory Desexing

All cats living within Baw Baw Shire Council must be desexed. There are exemptions for cats that are being kept for breeding at a licenced premise, cats registered with an applicable organisation and cats exempt by veterinarian from desexing.

24 Hour Cat Curfew

Baw Baw Shire Council has an order imposed under the Community Local Law 2016, stating that all owners of cats are required to keep their cat securely confined to the property and not allow that cat to wander outside the owner’s premises.

Cats can live a happy and healthier life when not allowed to roam. Restricting your cat to your home and yard protects them from harm from vehicles, other cats and dogs, and disease. It also protects our native wildlife.

If your cat lives fully indoors, providing them with enrichment will keep them happy and stimulated. This can include: scratching posts, toys, high areas to climb and puzzle feeders.

If your cat is also an outdoor cat, they can be contained to your property with cat proof fencing, that prevents them from jumping fences, or an outdoor cat run/enclosure.

For tips and tricks to keep your cat safe and happy at home, download the RSPCA Australia Guide to Keeping your Cat Safe and Happy at Home(PDF, 1MB) or visit

Excess number of cats

In accordance with the Community Local Law 2016, in a residential area, permits must be obtained to keep more than two cats (regardless of your land size).

In a rural area, you can keep up to 5 cats without a permit.

To apply to keep excess cats on your residential or rural property, please complete this online Excess Animals Permit application

If you have an issue with wandering cats in your area

If you're having an issue with wandering cats in your area, a limited number of cat traps are available to borrow from Council for up to 7 days. To avoid disappointment please contact Council on 1300 BAW BAW before visiting a Customer Service Centre to ensure that a cage is readily available.