Landcare groups consist of local residents interested in the environment who are willing to volunteer their time for land management issues including loss of native vegetation and biodiversity, soil erosion, water quality decline, pest plants and animals and drainage issues.
Activities and projects include:
- Fencing-off existing remnant vegetation from stock.
- Planting shelter belts and wildlife corridors.
- Restoration of riparian areas.
- Re-vegetating wet areas.
- Control of harmful weeds.
- Restoring erosion sites to prevent further soil loss.
- Direct seeding and seed collection.
- Promoting sustainable farming practices.
- Baiting and fumigation programs for rabbits, foxes, wild dogs and Indian Mynah birds.
Groups hold regular meetings, field days and social events. Landcare groups also work to assist new landholders. Funding may become available to assist property owners with environmental projects on their properties.
A Landcare coordinator is employed for each Landcare network. To contact the Latrobe Catchment Landcare coordinator call the West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority on 1300 094 262. To contact the Westernport area facilitator call the Westernport Catchment Landcare Network on 0490 955 168..
Local Landcare Groups
|| Contact Phone Number
|Allambee Community Landcare Group
||5634 4220 or 0438 344 220
|Drouin Rabbit Control & Landcare Group
|Earls Road Landcare Group
|Jindivick Landcare Group
||0402 650 382
|Labertouche Landcare Group
||0427 586 288
|Mount Worth and District Landcare Group
||N/A (email email@example.com)
|Mountain Rivers Landcare Group
|Narracan Landcare Group
|Neerim and District Landcare Group
||0408 351 915
|Springsure Hill Landcare Group
|Tanjil Valley Landcare Group
|Triholm Landcare Group
|Warragul and District Landcare Group
|Waterwatch West Gippsland
||1300 094 262
|Yarragon and Trafalgar District Landcare Sub-Group