A Recreational Fishing Licence (RFL) covers all forms of recreational fishing in all of Victoria’s marine, estuarine and freshwaters. Unless you are exempt, a RFL is required when taking, or attempting to take, any species of fish by any method including line fishing, bait collection, gathering shellfish, yabby fishing, prawning and spear fishing.
You will not need a licence to fish if you are under 18 years of age, over 70 years of age or the holder of one of the following cards:
- Victorian Seniors cardholder (or interstate equivalent)
- Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner cardholder
- Veterans’ Affairs Repatriation Health Card coded (TPI)
- Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card coded either (DSP), (DSP Blind), (AGE), (AGE Blind) or (CAR)
Fisheries Officers will patrol fishing areas to ensure fishers hold a valid licence. Penalties apply for fishing without a licence. Victorian anglers now have the option to buy:
- A three-year Recreational Fishing Licence
- One-year Recreational Fishing Licence
- Two-day Recreational Fishing Licence
The RFL is available from many Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) offices and more than 980 retail businesses throughout Victoria, including most retail fishing tackle stores.