Advocacy for Seniors

Use the drop down menu below to view information about the community groups and not-for-profit organisations advocating on behalf of seniors.

Older Persons Advocacy Network

A network of independent non-profit organisations giving a voice to older people at every stage of their aged care experience. 

The OPAN help older people understand and exercise their aged care rights, seek aged care services that suit their needs and find solutions to issues they may be experiencing with their aged care provider. 

Click here to head to their website

Victorian Elder Rights Advocacy

Advocacy is about helping a person’s needs, wishes and rights be heard, especially in regard to decisions that affect their life. 

The advocates stand beside you and support you through issues that are impacting your rights. They listen to your concerns and help find an outcome that is satisfactory for you. 

The focus of the Victorian Elder Rights Advocacy's elder abuse prevention and response work is elder abuse within the context of Australian Government-funded aged care services (residential and home care). They also work closely with services that support people in elder abuse situations in which aged care services are not involved.

These include Seniors Rights Victoria and the network of health services within the Victorian Government’s integrated model of care for responding to suspected elder abuse. They also run community education sessions on elder abuse for aged care services and the general community. 

Council on the Ageing

Council on the Ageing (COTA) Victoria is the leading not-for-profit organisation representing the interests and rights of people aged 50+ in Victoria. For 70 years, they have led government, corporate and community thinking about the positive aspects of ageing. Today, their focus is on promoting opportunities for, and protecting the rights of, older Victorians.

Victoria Legal Aid

Call 1300 792 387 from 8am to 6pm weekdays for free information and help about the law. 

Elder Abuse Helpline

Help is available through a confidential helpline on 1300 368 821.  

The confidential Elder Abuse Helpline is a contact point for anyone who experiences, witnesses or suspects that an older person is being abused by someone they know and trust, usually a family member. 

The Elder Abuse Helpline is a source of information, support, and referral about elder abuse, and about protecting the rights, dignity and independence of older people.

Translating and Interpreting Services

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

You can contact the TIS on 131 450 for:

  • Immediate phone interpreting
  • Pre-booked phone interpreting
  • On-site interpreting
  • Video/remote interpreting

Financial Counselling Victoria

Financial counsellors provide assistance, advocacy and information to people experiencing financial difficulty or who have problems with debt. 

A financial counsellor can provide the following support to their clients: 

  • Advise and assist with problems related to debt and debt enforcement
  • Advocate and negotiate with banks and other lenders.
  • Assist with concessions, grant eligibility and applications as well as referral for material aid
  • Assist with lodging complaints to external dispute resolution services
  • Refer to other community, health and legal services
  • Provide information about consumer rights 

Housing for the Aged Action Group

Housing for the Aged Action Group is the only Australian organisation specialised in the housing needs of older people. 

HAAG are committed to finding long term solutions to the housing crisis facing older Australians and have partnered with organisations such as the Ethnic Communities Council of Victoria, Council on the Ageing, the National Ageing Research Institute and the University of South Australia. 

Low-cost accommodation support program (Dept Health Vic)

Outreach programs for older and vulnerable Victorians with unmet complex needs, who are homeless or living in insecure or low-cost accommodation. Programs link clients to relevant health, community care and welfare services to improve their health and social well-being.