Dogs - Registration and Responsibilities


All dogs over the age of 3 months are required to be registered with Council. It is a State Government requirement that they are microchipped in order to register with Council. Please note that microchipping is different from Council registration. 

Please note: Have your animal/s previously been registered in Baw Baw Shire? If so, we can reactivate your registration. There is no need to complete a new registration form. Please contact our Customer Service team for assistance. 

Registration fees


Fee (per animal)

Concession (Pension Cards Only)

Entire dog (under 10 years)



Entire dog (over 10 years)



Entire dog (kept for working stock)



Entire dog (registered and owner a current member with an approved association)



Desexed dog



Dangerous/menacing/restricted breed dog



Pet registrations may be transferred from another municipality (if they are in your name), free of charge, providing the animal is microchipped and proof of payment is provided.

Please ensure that your animal is wearing a registration tag at all times to assist in immediate identification and return.

If you require a replacement animal registration tag, one can be collected at a Customer Service Centre, or posted to you.

Working Dogs

A farm working dog is defined as a dog usually kept on rural land by a primary producer or person employed by a primary producer and primarily kept or trained for the purpose of droving, protecting, tending or working stock on a farm.

For a dog to be registered as a working dog, the following documentation must be provided when submitting an animal registration form:

  • Proof that the applicant is a primary producer or is employed by a primary producer; this can include a copy of a most recent tax return or a copy of a Certificate of Business Registration, and;
  • The dog (in most cases) must be one of the following breeds:
    • Cattle dog
    • Kelpie       
    • Shepherd
    • Collie
    • Sheepdog
    • Lapphund
    • Maremma

Applications for dogs whose breeds are not listed above will need to be individually assessed by a Compliance Officer. Please note: Dogs used for hunting (ie, hounds or “gun dogs”) are not considered working dogs. For further information, please refer to the Farm Working Dogs attachment.

Approved Association Dogs

In order for a dog to be registered as a member of an approved association (in this case Dogs Victoria), the following documentation must be provided when submitting an animal registration form:

  • A copy of the relevant Dogs Victoria certificate
  • A copy of the current Dogs Victoria membership card (in the applicant’s name)

The microchip number on the Dogs Victoria certificate must be consistent with the microchip number provided on the animal registration form (and desexing certificate if applicable). Dogs Victoria is the only applicable organisation accepted for dogs.

Racing dogs

Dogs registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria are exempt from Council registration. This exemption does not apply to greyhounds that have gone through the 'Greyhound Adoption Program' operated by Greyhound Racing Victoria.

Please note: If you keep racing dogs, you may require a planning permit. Please contact compliance on 562 2411 if you are unsure if you need a permit.

How to Pay your Pet Registration 

Before you start your registration make sure you have the following information handy, as you'll need it to complete the form below:

  • Your pets microchip number
  • Proof of desexing
  • Your pension card (if applicable)

All applicable organisation members must also provide proof of registration with the organisation, for each animal being registered and for themselves. 

Registrations can be paid using the following methods:

Register your pet online.

Phone and Internet (Registration renewals only):

Phone 131 816, or go to the Postbill Pay website to pay now, or register to receive and pay your future bills on the internet. Credit card payment is not accepted over the phone. 

By Mail (New registrations or renewals):

A cheque or money order, made payable to Baw Baw Shire Council can be posted to PO Box 304, Warragul 3820, along with the slip from your registration form.  Please ensure you keep the top portion of the renewal form for your records as no receipt will be issued.

Please allow sufficient time for delivery as Council will not accept postal delays as a reason for late payment.

In Person (New registrations or renewals): 

For new registrations, present the registration notice with your payment at any Council Customer Service Centre to pay by cash, cheque, money order, credit card or EFTPOS. For renewals, you also have the option to pay at any post office as well as at any Council Customer Service Centre.   

Please ensure all information on the notice is correct. If there is an error, please correct the information and return the notice and payment to the Council. Please do not pay at the post office, via phone or internet if the information is incorrect.

Update Your Details

To help us reunite you with your dog, please ensure your contact details, including mobile phone numbers, are up to date. 

If you would like to change or updates your pet's registration details, you can do so by completing this online form

Details on how to update your dog’s microchip can be found on our Lost Animals page.

Responsible Pet Ownership

Pets need regular exercise, a healthy diet and a clean, safe and secure environment. It is also important to ensure that your pet does not affect anyone else. Being a pet owner means you are responsible for and must manage the noise, odours and waste that your pet produces.

To provide new pet owners with guidance on caring for your pet, the State Government has created two codes of practices for cat and dog owners.

Off Leash Areas

As decided at the 9 May 2018 Council Meeting, designated off leash areas within the following reserves will be introduced:

  • Bellbird Park, Drouin
  • Dunstan Oval, Rawson
  • St Phillack Reserve, Rawson
  • Linear Reserve, Trafalgar
  • Brooker Park, Warragul
  • Dowton Park, Yarragon

Council will also work towards turning three of these areas, one in each ward, into premium dog parks that are fully fenced with extra amenities such as dog litter bins and bags, extra signage, agility equipment and a drinking fountain suitable for dogs. These include Brooker Park in Warragul, Bellbird Park in Drouin and Linear Reserve in Trafalgar.

Animal Excrement

Any person in charge of an animal must carry a litter device and pick up after their pet.

Persons found not cleaning up after their pets are liable for infringements.

Desexing Your Dog

While dogs are not required to be desexed in Baw Baw Shire, desexing your dog is extremely important as the reproductive system of dogs start at a very early age. Desexed animals are known to live longer and have reduced risk of some diseases and illnesses, such as mammary and prostate cancer, and uterine infections.

Desexing commonly reduces behavioural problems such as roaming, aggression and urine marking in male dogs.

The reduction of unwanted pets within the shire will also reduce the number of pets that may have to be put to sleep.

Excess number of dogs

In accordance with the Community Local Law 2016, permits must be obtained to keep more than the following number of dogs in a residential area:

Animal Type

Land up to 999 square metres

Land which is 1,000 to 3,999 square metres

Land which is 4,000 square metres and greater





Please contact our Planning Department if you have more than 5 dogs.

Local law permits to keep more than the specified number of dogs can only be issued for dogs kept as pets. Dogs kept for breeding, boarding or racing may require a planning permit to keep more than the number specified in the Planning Scheme.

If you are unsure if you require a Local Law permit or a planning permit, contact the Compliance team on 5624 2411.

Click here to apply online to keep excess animals on your residential or rural property.

Barking dogs

Continual barking is annoying to neighbours. As a dog owner, it is important that you are aware if your dog is barking continuously and take steps to rectify the problem. It can often happen whilst you are at work and are not even aware of it.

Baw Baw Shire receives a number of complaints for barking dogs. In most situations, the problem can be alleviated by approaching the owner making them aware of the situation.

Suggestions to avoid a barking nuisance include:

  • Restrict the dog’s view of people passing by.
  • Rotate a supply of toys or chew bones to keep your dog busy.
  • Take your dog on a short walk around the neighbourhood.

If a barking problem escalates, neighbours can request the Council to investigate the problem. A fact sheet can be found at the bottom of this page for more advice if there is a barking dog in your neighbourhood, or if your dog is barking.

Making a complaint

If you wish to lodge a complaint about a barking dog, please complete this online complaint form. Alternatively you can contact our Customer Service Centre on 5624 2411, or chat to one of our staff online. Providing as much detail as possible will assist in resolving your complaint - the address the dog is from, the type of dog, when and at what times the dog barks, and if you can identify any reasons the dog may be barking.

You will be asked to complete a detailed diary of the barking, as Council Officers will need to determine whether the noise is considered a nuisance and excessive. These types of complaints can take some time to resolve and in some cases, where the amount of noise is not considered excessive, may not be able to be resolved by Council. You may also contact the Disputes Settlement Centre (1800 658 528) for free advice.