Registration of Food Premises

All organisations, individuals and community groups that sell food and beverages are required to register with a Victorian Council under the Food Act 1984 (the Act).

Council has developed a set of Food Premises Registration Guidelines(PDF, 2MB) to assist businesses in meeting the requirements of the Food Act and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. This document provides guidance on business classifications, food safety programs and food safety supervisor requirements, construction guidelines and information of mobile food vehicles and Food Trader links. 

An application form for registration under the Act must be completed and submitted to Council with the appropriate fee.

Registration of premises covers a 12 month period each year from 1 January, or the date the business commences operation, through to 31 December. In October of each year a renewal of registration form is sent out to all businesses, along with a request for payment of the annual registration fee. This form must be completed and returned to Council along with payment.

Businesses and community groups that operate a mobile premises, such as a van or stall, must also hold a current registration on Food Trader the state-wide notification system for temporary and mobile food sales. For more information and other requirements, go to Mobile Food Vans.

If you are unsure of the class your food business falls in visit our Food Business Classification page.

If you are purchasing an existing food business, you must complete a new application form(PDF, 103KB).
You may contact Council to arrange an extra inspection before settlement takes place. Council requires a minimum of seven day's notice to conduct an inspection and to arrange and issue the necessary registration paperwork.


If you are renewing your registration, you can do so by completing the online renewal form.

Click here to renew your registration.