Road Maintenance FAQs


Baw Baw Shire’s local road network maintenance works include the following:

  • Pothole repairs (sealed and unsealed)
  • Tree trimming / carriageway clearance
  • Roadside grass mowing
  • Road grading
  • Emergency callouts (trees fallen on roads, water over road, etc.)
  • Roadside drain clearing
  • Signs repairs and replacements
  • Guideposts repairs and replacements
  • Regular inspections and defect identification

How to lodge a request for road maintenance

All requests for unsealed and sealed road maintenance are to be reported using Snap Send Solve, Report a Road, or by calling 1300 BAW BAW (1300 229 229).

Customer Service issues each request received with an individual customer service request number which will be assessed/ investigated by the road maintenance contractor or Council’s Officers. Works orders for maintenance will only be issued if the defect is outside the intervention level or the road surface has deteriorated below the current adopted service level.

How Council assess when a road needs maintenance

Council utilises a systematic approach to manage road maintenance requirements, recording and prioritising defects to enable programing when the intervention level is reached. Council collects defects reports from three sources:

  • Reports from the public lodged with Customer Service;
  • Routine inspections; and
  • Informal inspections.

When a road will be graded

Grading works are programed on an adopted level of service to remove corrugations and rutting of the road surface.

Property access responsibility

It is the responsibility of property owners to maintain their own driveway and that includes the placement, replacement and maintenance of the culverts in the table drain. For any driveway construction works a Road Reserve Work Permit Application is required before carrying out any work. The property access is to be maintained to a standard that is safe for all road users.

Hazardous road condition

An emergency response can be lodged with Council by calling 5624 2411, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Emergencies may include:

  • Fallen trees
  • Fuel spills
  • Mud/landslips
  • Water/flood
  • Traffic hazards

Roadside grass mowing

Roadside grass mowing is conducted twice a season - once between September and December and the second between January and April the following year. The roadside is required to mowed 1.5 metres behind the line of guideposts. Where there are no guideposts mowing is done to a width of 3 metres from the edge of pavement, if practicable.

Click on the image to enlarge.

National highway/ freeway and arterial roads

Regional Roads Victoria is the responsible authority for the road and the entire road reserve on all highways, freeways and declared main roads in rural areas. For enquiries and reporting traffic hazards, RRV can be contacted on 133 778. Visit VicTraffic for information on traffic conditions or roadworks.