Changes to Aged and Disability Services
The Australian Government is changing the way that aged and disability services are planned and delivered, impacting Councils’ ability to provide aged and disability services. Some changes to Aged and Disability services are expected as Council responds to ongoing reforms in the aged and disability services sector.
On 11 March 2020, Council resolved at a Council meeting to cease providing direct care services effective from 30 June 2022.
The services that will cease from 30 June 2022 include:
- Domestic assistance (includes unescorted shopping support)
- Personal Care (includes escorted shopping support)
- Respite Care.
These services will be delivered by other service providers from 1 July 2022.
Council also resolved that all other Aged and Disability Services will be subject to further review work to identify options to optimise the sustainability of the service including:
- Property maintenance and home modifications
- Social Support Groups
- Carer Support
- Delivered Meals (Meals on Wheels)
- Community Transport
- Volunteer Programs
- Senior Citizen Clubs support.
Council understands this is a big change. We will work closely with staff, clients and volunteers to ensure everyone is informed about the decision and the changes along the way.
This decision has been made now, as Council recognises how valued these services are and wanted to provide some clarity in the midst of uncertainty and change to enable our clients to make informed decisions regarding their services and staff and volunteers their future.
Council will contact all clients to provide information that is specific to their circumstances as further information becomes available.
Council is committed to receiving six monthly reports at Council Meetings to provide any updates on:
- Outcomes of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
- Any Commonwealth Government announcements regarding sector reform
- The progress of the transition and exit from direct care services and the ongoing review of all other Aged and Disability Services.