Commonwealth Home Support Program


Commonwealth Home Support Program

Commonwealth Home Support Program is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services and is for people aged over 65 (or over 50 for Indigenous Australians).

Commonwealth Home Support Program Aims:

  • To improve access to quality home support services for frail older people living in the community.
  • To maximise frail older people’s independence through the provision of timely support services, taking into account each person’s goals, preferences and choices.
  • Although funding for the Commonwealth Home Support Program has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.

For further information phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website.

The My Aged Care website includes information that has been translated into 18 languages.

People who speak a language other than English can also phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. The TIS staff will facilitate a call to the My Aged Care contact centre on the person’s behalf.

People who are deaf or who have a hearing or speech impairment can contact My Aged Care through:

  • Calling the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and asking for My Aged Care on 1800 200 422; or
  • Accessing the National Relay Service Website and choosing ‘Make an internet relay call’ and entering 1800 200 422.

The Commonwealth Home Support Program is now being delivered to Council's former clients by Benetas, who can be contacted via the details below.