Arterial Road Network Planning - Frequently Asked Questions

Advocacy icon.png

Want to learn more about Council's advocacy for Drouin and Warragul Arterial Road Network Planning? Click below to find answers to our frequently asked questions! If you would like to download a printable version of the FAQ answers, click here(PDF, 980KB).

To head back to the main arterial roads network advocacy page, click here.

What is Council advocating for?

We know traffic in Warragul and Drouin is a concern for our community and our businesses. The 100-year-old network of State-managed arterial roads is past its use-by date. It just isn't designed to cope with our region's growth. 

Council is advocating to Regional Roads Victoria (RRV), which is a State Government agency for roads, to allocate $3 million of funding to design a modern, fit-for purpose arterial road network that can handle the amount of traffic we're seeing now and will see in the future. 

Why is Council advocating for these funds?

Council is advocating as a voice for our community to make our local issues and concerns known. Much like our advocacy for a new hospital, Council advocates to other levels of government for important projects that are their responsibility to deliver. 

Population growth is happening all over Victoria, but at a faster rate in Baw Baw Shire, so we want RRV and the State Government to know the congestion issues people in our towns are facing and act now towards a solution. If we can get this planning work funded, it will be a step closer to improving things on the ground. 

What roads are classified as arterial roads in Drouin and Warragul?

Arterial roads generally enable traffic to travel through and between major towns. They are owned, maintained and the responsibility of Regional Roads Victoria (RRV) which is a State Government agency, not Council. Planning for future improvements or upgrades for these roads is the responsibility of  RRV.

Arterial roads around Drouin and Warragul include:

  • Princes Way (Drouin and Warragul)
  • Main Neerim Road (Drouin to Neerim Junction)
  • Main South Road (Drouin South to Poowong East)
  • Brandy Creek Road (Warragul to Rokeby)
  • Queen Street (Warragul CBD)
  • Warragul-Korumburra Road (Warragul to Korumburra)
  • Howitt Street (Warragul, including the Burke Street intersection)

Is the $3 million being advocated for to build a new bypass road?

No – not at this stage. Before any new road, bypass or intersections can be built, more detailed planning needs to be done to identify the best solution. For arterial roads, where we face the biggest traffic issues, this is the responsibility of the State Government. We are asking RRV, on behalf of our community, to allocate the $3 million needed to do the necessary planning and design works that can identify a proper, long-term solution to our local traffic congestion problems, which may include new bypass roads.

Where are the proposed upgrades to be located?

Planning and design work hasn’t been done by RRV, so there's no firm decision on what the best solutions will be for Drouin and Warragul. Council is suggesting some options to look at, but ultimately, seeking the funding to get the proper planning done by Regional Roads Victoria is what this is all about.

The map below is not a formal plan, but rather a suggested starting point to present to the State Government during our advocacy and showcases the main pinch points. There are five key areas in the entire local arterial road network that we are advocating to address, including:

  1. Drouin (Western) Bypass
  2. Duplication of Princes Way (between Warragul and Drouin)
  3. Improved intersections - Princes Way & Wellwood Road, Drouin Warragul Off Ramps; Howitt Street and Burke Street Intersections
  4. Drouin (Eastern) Bypass
  5. Buln Buln Road Interchange Dollarburn Road Extension (Warragul Bypass)


What's the estimated time frame for planning works to start?

This all depends on when the State Government allocates the $3 million to RRV in their annual budget. This funding is not guaranteed, that is why we are advocating hard to get this on their agenda.

As for the completion of various stages of works on the ground, there is also no firm answer because it relies on funding from the State Government. It's going to take time. What we can guarantee is that Baw Baw Shire Council is continuing to advocate to all levels of government to make the needs of our Shire known and acted on.

How will this planning help manage everyday traffic accessing town centres? New housing developments means more residents and more traffic.

Baw Baw Shire is one of the fastest growing regions in Victoria. Our growth in population is putting pressure on the State Government’s 100-year-old arterial road network that it was never designed to handle. This is why we need RRV to develop a full plan for the traffic issues on our arterial roads in the long term. It's not just about cars and heavy vehicles - bicycles, public transport and pedestrians needs to be considered too.

We need a better bus network to get into Warragul and Drouin. At the moment our bus network is unreliable. Where do I go to get answers to my questions about a better bus service?

The bus network operation is the responsibility of Public Transport Victoria, so if you have specific concerns you would like to raise with them you can contact them via the details on their website at Contact us - Public Transport Victoria (

What happened to the new road link that was planned for the new Ferntree Ridge Estate in Drouin (through King Parrot Boulevard)?

That proposed collector road will be delivered in stages across several different subdivision sites, of which Ferntree Ridge is one. Some of the sites along the alignment of the road have yet to apply for subdivision permits. It is expected to be some years before it ultimately connects Main South Road to Balfour Road. Notwithstanding this, King Parrot Boulevard will primarily serve to cater for passenger vehicles, not freight and arterial traffic, given it will be located through a residential area. This is why RRV need to plan for improved bypass routes for arterial traffic.

Will there be smaller shopping precincts built into new housing developments to allow less traffic into Warragul and Drouin’s main CBD areas?

While there are six locations identified in the Precinct Structure Plans (PSPs) for Drouin and Warragul for future shopping centres, the development of those sites is reliant on businesses purchasing the land and constructing shopping centres. It is not a function of Council to build shopping centres. However, we are supportive of new shops and businesses expanding into Baw Baw Shire to provide a more diverse offering to our community.

Do developers contribute funds for new roads, and where does that funding go?

They certainly contribute funds for new roads, particularly for new intersection treatments on arterial roads which their residential streets join. But the State Government is responsible for main arterial roads, so they need to build and manage these road networks.

What is going on with the intersection at Sutton Street, Tarwin Street and Pharaohs Rd in Warragul?

A new roundabout will be built in this location by the developer of a nearby site. The timing of the construction is determined by the developer and is currently estimated to occur within two years.

What can be done about traffic now whilst we wait for the ultimate plans to be funded and built?

Ultimately, in order to create real change, the first step is to secure the funding needed for the network planning and design works through RRV. There is a long way to go but this is a big first step.

How can residents get involved with advocacy?

Your support is important. With a coordinated approach, we can make this happen. Here are some of the things you can do to support the effort:

  • Write a letter of support: Writing a letter to your local representatives, MPs and Ministers is a great way to let them know that this issue matters to you and that you want their support. If you’re not sure where to start, a letter template is available for download from Council’s website.
  • Talk about the issue: Spread the word. Speak to your friends, colleagues and fellow industry members about the issue. Talk to your local representatives. Put the issue on the agenda.
  • Tap into networks: Look for opportunities to share information through your existing networks. Reach out to industry and business groups.
  • Use all channels: Amplify the message by sharing it on social media, in newsletters and publications. Write a letter to your local paper or your local representative.
  • Work with us: Help us advocate most effectively by staying in touch and sharing your valuable insights. Have questions or need support? Let us know - we are here to help.

How are you going to keep residents abreast of any news, especially any residents that maybe directly affected by any new roads?

We have a dedicated webpage for the issue which is regularly updated and can be found at We'll be keeping it updated as things progress, as well as issuing updates through traditional and social media channels.