Concessions and Farm Rates

Rates Concessions are available under certain circumstances.

The Farm Rate concession is available to owners of rateable land that meet Council’s definition of farm land, while other concessions may be available for some pensioners and veterans.

This page contains information on the following:

Pension and Veteran Affairs Card Concession

You could be eligible for a concession on your municipal rates and charges if you have one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
  • Department Veteran Affairs Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • Department Veteran Affairs Gold Card - War Widow (WW).

To be eligible for a concession, your address on your card must match the property address and mailing address on your rates notice, and you must live at the property.

Visit one of our Customer Service Centres to complete a Municipal Rates Concession form. Once this has been completed, the form will go to the Rates team for verification and your rates will be credited the rebate.

Previous Year Rebate

You may also be eligible for a rebate for the previous year. You will need to have lived at the property and held a pension or Veteran Affairs card in that year. You are only entitled to the previous year. An application form will need to be completed and eligibility will be determined by Department of Human Services. If entitled your rates account will be credited and you will be notified via mail. You can contact the Rates team to discuss on 5624 2411.

Farm Rate

The Farm Rate concession is available to owners of rateable land that meet Council’s definition of farm land. Eligibility for the Farm Rate is not determined by the zoning of the land under the Baw Baw Planning Scheme. In other words, the fact that the property is zoned “rural” does not mean that it will be eligible for the farm rate.

If there is some doubt in relation to your eligibility, you may be requested to provide detailed information about farming activities conducted on your property. This could be in the form of a profit and loss statement, a business plan, or stock number.

In determining whether or not a property is eligible for the Farm Rate concession, the primary use or activity must satisfy the Council criteria.

You may apply for the Farm Rate concession by printing and completing the Farm Rate Application Application Survey (Print Version)(PDF, 62KB) and returning it to:

Team Leader Revenue Services
Baw Baw Shire Council
PO Box 304
Warragul VIC 3820

For further information please call the Rates team on 5624 2411.

Farm Rate Survey

If you own a Farm Rated property, you might receive a Farm Rate Survey in the mail. Council has liaised with the Victorian Farmers Federation in putting it together and it helps us better understand the farming activities taking place across the Shire.

If you think you may be eligible but do not currently receive the discounted Farm Rate, you can download and print the Farm Rate Application Survey (Print Version)(PDF, 62KB)  to apply for eligibility. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the survey important?

Council are required to gather essential information on each property that currently receives discounted Farm Rate. The information assists Council in making informed decisions regarding application of this rate. For example, it can help identify properties that should be classed as Single Farm Enterprises and should receive reduced Fire Services Levy. It can also identify contiguous parcels of land that can be consolidated for rating purposes and save multiple Fire Services Levy being applied.  

Another important reason that Council undertakes the Farm Rate Survey is that it allows us to better understand what type of farming activities are undertaken in our municipality and allows for better planning and assistance in times of crisis (such as recent dairy crisis). 

When was the last survey undertaken?

The last Farm Rate survey was conducted in 2007. With ten years having passed, it's time for Council to take another look at the farming developments across the shire. Council has liaised with the Victorian Farmers Federation in composing the survey.

Who should complete the survey?

Owners of Farm Rated should complete the survey. If you own a Farm Rated property, you will receive a Farm Rate survey in the mail.

If you do not receive a survey and believe you should, or your property is not currently Farm Rated but you believe it should be, you can download and complete a copy of the Farm Rate Application Survey (Print Version)(PDF, 62KB) and return it to:

Team Leader Revenue Services
Baw Baw Shire Council
PO Box 304
Warragul VIC 3820

What is a 'Single Farm Enterprise'?

Single Farm Enterprise is a term utilised for Fire Services Levies, it relates to more than one property being utilised for the same farming entity (i.e. Farms will receive more than one rates notice for properties used as one farm, sometimes in different municipalities).  

What do I do if I am unable to obtain a Registered Accountant Verification Statement?

If you are unable to access your registered accountant please utilise the Statutory Declaration on Form C. You may declare that the information is true and correct and have it verified in front of an authorised witness in lieu of attending your accountant.

When does the survey close?

Council asks that those completing the Farm Rate survey return it by 5pm on Tuesday 12 June 2018.