Asbestos was commonly used in many building materials between the 1950s and the 1990s.
All types of asbestos can be damaging to health. Generally however, the presence of asbestos does not pose health risks unless it is broken, in poor or deteriorated condition, or disturbed during activities that produce dust containing asbestos fibres.
If you have any concerns regarding the removal of asbestos please contact the WorkSafe Victoria Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 or visit the Worksafe website.
Council would always recommend engaging a licensed professional to manage and remove any asbestos materials.
What to do when you find asbestos
I'm renovating and I think there is asbestos in my house:
- Before you start, check local directories for plumbers and builders with accredited asbestos removal certification to give correct advice on compliant removal requirements and removal costs.
The neighbour is pulling down an old shed that looks like asbestos:
- Contact Council's environmental health or public health team to assess by calling 5624 2411.
I've found dumped asbestos:
- Contact Council's environmental health office or public health team by calling 5624 2411.
A contractor/business is removing asbestos in my street, I was not notified:
The house next door is being pulled down, I think there is asbestos:
- Contact Council's building office by calling 5624 2411
There is a little bit of asbestos on the nature strip:
- Contact Council's Urban Operations team to collect and dispose by calling 5624 2411.