Crossovers and Road Reserves

The road reserve extends from property boundary to property boundary and includes, but is not limited to, the road pavement, kerb and channel, nature strip, footpath and vehicle crossing.

You will need a Works within Road Reserve Permit if you need to carry out works in the road reserve, including connecting services such as driveway construction, water connection, and underground power supply or storm water.

Please note: Council MUST inspect the crossover or works in the road reserve before any concrete is poured, and after it is completed, to make sure that the permit conditions are followed and to guarantee the longevity of the crossover.

Applying for a Work Within Road Reserve Permit

Permit application forms can be obtained at any of our Customer Service Centres or downloaded from the Related Information section at the bottom of this page.

There is an application fee for this permit, which is detailed on the permit application form.

The permit will be subject to certain conditions included on the permit. In some instances, these may include:

  • The payment of a security bond.
  • Repair, replacement or reinstatement of any damaged Council assets.

Examples of Works Within Road Reserves

  • Vehicle crossing works: Involves work to the crossover that provides access to your property from the property line to the road edge.
  • Road pavement works: Includes any other work in the road pavement. An example is installing a pipe connecting across the road.
  • Footpath or nature strip works: Includes skip bins or materials for a project on the nature strip.
  • Service connection: Involves connecting a water, communications or gas supply to a property.
  • Storm water connection: Is a connection to a pipe or a pit.

Vehicle Crossing Works

This covers any work to a new or existing driveway crossing, commonly known as crossovers.

To make sure we can process your crossover application effectively, please include with your application a site plan of the proposed crossover showing any known assets such as NBN pits, storm water pits or sign posts.

If you are proposing a second crossover, or the installation of two crossovers, the following conditions apply:

  • The two crossovers must have at least 9 metres between them.
  • Each crossover must not exceed 3.5 metres in width at the property boundary or at the footpath.

Major considerations for approval of a permit include:

  • Does the proposed location offer a safe sight distance for approaching vehicles (with 200 metres of sight distance desired in rural areas)?
  • Is any drainage affected?
  • Are any street trees or significant vegetation impacted?
  • Are there any assets such as storm water drains, Telstra pits, light posts or sign posts within one metre of proposed crossover?

There are four types of crossovers with standard design drawings available for each type. Standard design drawings can be obtained at any of our Customer Service Centres or downloaded from the Related Information section at the bottom of this page.

The four different types of crossovers are detailed below:

  • Residential: Installed where there is a footpath and/or kerb and channel present.
  • Urban: Installed on the outer fringe of town where property owners are on septic tanks.
  • Rural: Installed in rural areas where no footpath, kerb and/or channel are present.
  • Industrial: Installed for commercial businesses with heavy machinery using the crossing.

For any enquiries regarding the which of the above specifications is best for you, email Community Compliance or call 5624 2411.