Preschool Field Officer Services


A Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) is a person qualified in early childhood development who has experience in working with children who have additional needs.

The Preschool Field Officer service is funded by the State Government Department of Education and Training (DET) under the auspices of Baw Baw Shire Council.

What does the Preschool Field Officer do?

The role of the Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) is to build the capacity of kindergarten teachers to provide an inclusive program which meets the developmental and learning requirements of children with additional needs.

Parental permission is required before the PSFO can work with the kindergarten teacher or speak with any involved specialists regarding the development and needs of their child. This is sought as part of the referral process.

The role of the PSFO includes:

  • Gathering information about a child to identify how a teacher can best support them at kindergarten. This includes the child's participation at the service.
  • Providing advice, information or strategies regarding the inclusion of an individual child into the kindergarten program.
  • Advocating for children and families.
  • Assisting with referrals to other child or family support groups and professionals.
  • Provision of support and advice to parents/guardians.

This information and support is usually provided via the kindergarten teacher, respecting the existing relationship families have with their child's service.

Eligibility Criteria

Children with additional needs attending a government funded kindergarten program are the target group for the PSFO.

This includes children in receipt of Early Start Kindergarten funding who are attending a three year old kindergarten program delivered by a degree qualified early childhood educator.

Children with additional needs include?

  • Children with developmental delays
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children with social/emotional needs
  • Children with challenging behaviour

Referrals are designed to be completed by the kindergarten service and the parent/guardian, but can also be submitted with parental consent by:

  • Maternal and Child Health Nurses
  • Therapists
  • Doctors and Paediatricians
  • Other family and children's service providers

Referral forms are available in the supporting documents section of this page.

For further information, please email the Preschool Field Officer or call 5624 2540.