Baw Baw Shire Council Youth Policy 2018
Baw Baw Community Vision 2050
Happy, healthy people sharing prosperity and knowledge from living sustainably and in harmony with our rural identity, thriving villages, productive and inspiring landscapes.
Baw Baw Shire Council acknowledge the importance of young people and their contribution in the community and to improve their opportunities through meaningful civic engagement.
The Youth Policy and its supporting Strategy will connect and strengthened Council’s relationship with young people living in Baw Baw. The document will build on the achievements of Baw Baw Shire Youth Charter (2005,2008 and 2011).
The purpose of the policy is to articulate a vision for Council in its delivery of services to young people based on local priorities, strategies/actions and resources.
It seeks to provide clear direction for arranging Council efforts that will enable broader community connections, participation and cohesion in the lives of young people
The Youth Policy and its supporting strategy will act as core documents to guide and define Council’s role in youth development and learning, decision-making, activities, strategies and policies across the whole organisation that influence young people in Baw Baw.
The Youth Policy is based on a combination of:
- Community aspirations and priorities identified in Council Plan 2017-21 development process
- Learning from the implementation of the Baw Baw Shire Youth Charter (2005,2008 and 2011)
- Experience and current practise of other Local and State Government entities.
The Policy will
- Assist in creation of an environment where young people can further develop like skills and contribute to their community.
- Promote and support the health and wellbeing of all young people who live, work and study in Baw Baw Shire, or have a connection with this place.
Five principles have been identified drawing from previous Youth Charter’s principles and consultation to support Council’s vision and commitment to youth in the municipality. These are:
- Youth Leadership: Fostering relationships and partnerships with community stakeholders and different tiers of government to actively promote youth leadership.
- Participation: Engaging young people and improving their access to safely participate in their community, education, employment programs and services.
- Health and Wellbeing: Integrating initiatives that improve health outcomes.
- Advocacy: Advocating young people at relevant forums and providing advice to other levels of government.
- Innovation: Responding effectively to changing needs.
- Baw Baw Shire Council Plan (2017-2021)
- Baw Baw Shire Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (2017-2021)
- Baw Baw 2050 Community Vision
Review and Monitoring:
This policy will be reviewed three years from the date of adoption.
- Effective Date: 27 June 2018
- Next Evaluation Date: June 2021
- Responsible Position: Coordinator Strategic and Community Planning