Animals - Your Responsibilities

Responsible Pet Ownership

Pets need regular exercise, a healthy diet and a clean, safe and secure environment. It is also important to ensure that your pet does not affect anyone else. Being a pet owner means you are responsible for and must manage the noise, odours and waste that your pet produces.

To provide new pet owners with guidance on caring for your pet, the State Government has created two codes of practices for cat and dog owners.

The Council's Community Local Law 2016 states that dog owners must carry a bag to clean up after their dog in a public place, and not allow any part of the dog’s excrement to remain. 

Off Leash Areas .

Designated areas within the following reserves have been outlined as off leash (these areas are currently being reviewed):

  • Brooker Park, Warragul
  • Bellbird Park, Drouin
  • Alex Goudie Park, Drouin
  • Darnum Recreation Reserve, Darnum
  • James Balfour Oak Tree Park, Trafalgar
  • Dowton Park, Yarragon
  • Kydd Parke Reserve, Jindivick
  • Dunstan Oval, Rawson
  • St Phillack Reserve, Rawson.

Update Your Details

To help us reunite you with your lost pet, please ensure your contact details, including mobile phone numbers, are up to date. Call the Council on 5624 2411 during business hours or go to the Update Your Details page.

Excess number of dogs/cats in a household

In accordance with the Baw Baw Shire Community Local Law 2016, permits must be obtained to keep more than two dogs (dependant on land size, refer to table Permitted Pets in Residential Areas) and/or two cats per residential household. On a rural property, a permit must be obtained to keep more than five dogs and/or five cats. A planning permit maybe required.

Desexing Your Pet

Desexing your pet is extremely important as the reproductive system of both dogs and cats start at a very early age. Desexing your pet may help with such issues as roaming pets, spraying pets and possible prevention of some diseases.

The reduction of unwanted pets within the shire will also reduce the number of pets that may have to be put to sleep. It is now mandatory for all cats to be desexed within Baw Baw Shire Council.

Please contact your local vet for more information.

Barking Dogs

Continual barking is annoying to neighbours. As a dog owner, it is important that you are aware if your dog is barking continuously and take steps to rectify the problem. It can often happen whilst you are at work and are not even aware of it.

Baw Baw Shire receives a number of complaints for barking dogs. In most situations, the problem can be alleviated by approaching the owner making them aware of the situation.

Suggestions to avoid a barking nuisance include:

  • Restrict the dog’s view of people passing by.
  • Keep a continuous supply of toys or chew bones close by.
  • Take your dog on a short walk around the neighbourhood.

If a barking problem escalates, neighbours can request the Council to investigate the problem.

Keeping Chickens at a Residential Property

Residents can keep up to six chickens on a residential property without a permit.

Domestic Animal Management Plan 2013-17

Baw Baw Shire’s Domestic Animal Management Plan seeks to balance the competing needs of animal owners, the broader community and pets.

The Council recognises the positive health and wellbeing outcomes that arise from pet ownership. The programs and activities set out in the plan have been developed to encourage more people to enjoy the pleasure derived from animal companionship whilst being a responsible pet owner.

Permitted Pets in Residential Areas

Without a permit an owner or occupier of land, except for Rural Zoned land must not keep or allow to be kept on the land:

Type of Animal   Land up to 999 square metres  Land which is 1,000 to 3,999 square metres Land which is 4,000 square metres and greater
Dogs 2 3
Cats 2 2
Horses, ponies NIL NIL 2
Sheep, goats, alpacas or similar NIL 2 4
Roosters NIL NIL NIL
Poultry 6 6 no limits
Cattle NIL NIL 1