Information for Property Owners Who Live Outside Baw Baw Shire

Due to COVID-19, travel restrictions between metropolitan and regional Victoria are in place. If you live outside Baw Baw Shire but wish to travel from Melbourne to prepare your property for the Fire Danger Period please find answers to common questions and a travel letter of support application form below.

How do I know if I am eligible to apply?

To find out if your property sits within a Bushfire Management Overlay, please visit and search for your address. A copy of your Planning Property Report is required when submitting your application for a letter of support. 

How long will it take to receive my letter of support?

Council will review your information to ensure the property is partially or wholly situated in a Bushfire Management Overlay. Letters of support will be issued within 5 business days of application. 

Can I attend my property if it is a vacant block?

You are only able to travel if you can stay overnight at the property or complete all required work on the same day. Any equipment required to complete the maintenance work must be brought with you. You are not permitted to attend shops in regional Victoria under the current COVID-19 restrictions. 

If I visit regional Victoria to undertake maintenance work at my property, what restrictions do I follow?

When travelling into regional Victoria, if you are from metropolitan Melbourne you must comply with the restrictions in place in metropolitan Melbourne. This means you may not be able to visit local businesses to purchase supplies. You should travel with the tools and equipment you need.

You can find the current restrictions that apply to you here

How long can I remain at my property?

The letter of support to travel is valid for a maximum of 72 hours. You can only stay overnight at your property if it contains a completed dwelling.

Travel may commence no earlier than 11 October 2021.

I don't have any family to help me prepare my property. What can I do?

You should seek and engage a local maintenance contractor to do the works for you. When engaging a contractor we suggest that you ask them to send you before and after photos so you can ensure the works have been completed to your satisfaction.

Click here for a list of local contractors.(PDF, 62KB)

Can I apply for another letter of support in the future?

You can apply for an additional letter of support to undertake further works, however, if you have received a letter of support already, this letter of support would need to expire before another application can be made.

Third party information sharing

Council, if requested, may share the information of property owners who have been provided letters of support with relevant authorities such as the Victorian Police for the enforcement of the State Government's COVIDSafe settings. 

Frequently asked questions

To help residents make informed decisions and prepare their property, the State Government has developed this frequently asked questions document.(PDF, 233KB)

Apply for permission to travel for fire or emergency preparedness activities your property.

In line with recent State Government advice, you can now apply for Council permission to travel to your property for the purpose of fire or emergency preparedness without having been issued a Fire Prevention Notice.

Click here to complete the application form.





Note: The above information is in line with current State Government advice. Should the State Government advice change, this information will be updated accordingly. You are encouraged to check back for potential updates.