Accessing Services


Residents over 65 years old (or over 50 for Indigenous Australians) can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to arrange an assessment for service.

If you are deemed eligible for service, you have the option of requesting either Baw Baw Shire Council or another provider to deliver your services. This gives you greater choice in who delivers your services.

It is a good idea to have your Medicare Card ready when you call so that My Aged Care can identify you.

If you are under 65 years old (or under 50 for Indigenous Australians), call Baw Baw Shire Council Assessment Intake on 5625 0267 to book your assessment for service.

Where possible a member of the assessment team will come and meet at your home, we work with you, and the people who support you, to find out the things that you want to achieve and the things that are important to you. We then help to put in place the right solutions with you.

We want to ensure that you are at the centre of every decision.

We will help you do as much as you can for yourself to help maintain your independence.

How we will work together


We start by listening to you and exploring:

  • what you can do for yourself
  • what you need help with to stay safe and well at home
  • what you want to be able to do or keep doing.

Making a plan

We then make a plan with you. This lists what you want to achieve and the supports and services available to help maintain and strengthen your ability to remain living at home and in your community.

Plans will vary depending on each person. We will regularly review your plan with you.

We aim to work in partnership with other people who support you such as family, friends, local community groups, your doctor and other health professionals.

We prioritise services to those most in need.

For further information call 5625 0267 or email the Assessment Team.

My Aged Care video for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people