Free green waste drop offs from January to March
Published on 13 January 2020
To help our community prepare and maintain their properties over the fire season, Baw Baw Shire Council is offering free green waste drop-offs from 18 January to 31 March 2020.
Following the success of the free green waste drop of days back in October last year, the offer is being extended once again to all residents – both home owners and tenants – this time for a much longer time period at all Council-operated transfer stations in Lardner, Neerim South, Trafalgar and Erica.
This new initiative is part of Council's commitment to community safety and bushfire season preparedness.
This offer is of particular importance to those living on larger or rural properties with excess growth and vegetation around their homes - over and above what can be disposed of in the regular fortnightly kerbside green waste bin collections.
Free offer conditions
- Each household is eligible to drop off up to three cubic metres of acceptable green waste free of charge.
- To cater for different trailer sizes, residents can either drop off three cubic metres at once, or smaller volumes over multiple drop offs.
- Green waste over three cubic metres will be charged at the normal rate.
- Bookings are not required, simply visit the transfer station during open hours and present proof of residency (such as driver’s license or rates notice).
- Green waste must be delivered in residential vehicles and trailers (commercial vehicles will be charged at the standard rate).
- Green waste must be separated from other waste or it will be charged at the standard rate.
Locations and open hours
Lardner Transfer Station
Location: Simpson Road
Open hours: 10.00am - 4.00pm every day
Trafalgar Transfer Station
Location: Giles Road
Open hours: 10.00am - 4.00pm on Saturday, Sunday and Monday
Neerim South Transfer Station
Location: Neerim East Road
Open hours: 10.00 am - 4.00pm on Friday and Sunday
Erica Transfer Station
Location: Mathiesons Road
Open hours: 12.00pm - 4.00pm on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday
For more information please visit www.bawbawshire.vic.gov.au/FreeGreenWasteDropOffs
If clearing vegetation is part of your bushfire prevention plan, there are regulations on the CFA website to inform you about what you can and can’t do. Find out more at www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/how-to-prepare-your-property
Quotes attributable to Mayor Cr Danny Goss
"Hot and dry conditions in Baw Baw are again predicted during February and March. As a Council we want to help support our community to do the right thing and clean up any excess vegetation they may have. This waste could pose a fire risk, especially to those living in more rural areas. If it won’t fit in the green waste bin, we encourage you to load up a trailer and head to the tip free of charge."