Council offers outdoor dining options for hospitality businesses

Published on 28 September 2020


As of the date of signing, the Chief Executive Officer has certified that this material is not considered to be electoral material in accordance with Council’s Governance Rules made under the Local Government Act 2020, Civic Place, Warragul. 

Baw Baw Shire Council will waive all temporary and extension of footpath trading and outdoor eating permit fees until 28 February 2021 to support local hospitality businesses.

A streamlined application process is also in place to allow businesses to quickly expand or establish their outdoor trading spaces.

Under the current COVID-19 restrictions for Regional Victoria, businesses can serve up to 50 customers outdoors per venue, with density requirements of one person for two square metres.

To assist with the application process, Council has developed a pre-application checklist covering insurance, access and other key considerations.

All applicants will be required to take note of the requirements set out by the Victorian Government and implement a COVID Safe Plan to protect staff, customers and visitors.

Council’s Business Support Service is available to assist business owners at all stages of the application process and for any other assistance.

To enable businesses to trade as soon as possible, most applications will be processed within three business days.

The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Licencing (VCGLR) has also introduced an updated approach to help existing licensees temporarily use outdoor areas to supply liquor.

Existing licensees will first need written permission from Council to use public external or outdoor areas that are not currently authorised under the licensee’s existing permanent liquor licence.

Once Council permission is provided, businesses can apply for a temporary limited licence and no additional fees will apply. 

How to apply

Step One: Review the checklist on the Council website to ensure you have everything ready to get started.

Step Two: Contact Council’s Business Support Service on 1300 BAW BAW to discuss your proposal and find out how we can support you to get trading.

Step Three: Submit your application. To enable trade as soon as possible, Council is committed to prioritising all outdoor dining applications.

For more information, please visit the Coronavirus Business Support page. 

Quotes attributable to Chief Executive Officer Mark Dupe

“I encourage local food businesses that are looking to introduce outdoor dining to contact us for support and guidance through the application process. We’re here to work with businesses find viable solutions to suit their needs to help them to get set up as soon as possible.”





Tagged as: