Baw Baw’s Environment Officer wins eco award
Published on 05 September 2019
Baw Baw Shire Council’s Environment Officer Raj Manihar has been recognised at the Baw Baw Sustainability Network’s recent Eco Awards ceremony.
The awards ceremony recognises people and organisations in Baw Baw that go above and beyond to promote sustainability and positive environmental initiatives and outcomes.
Mr Manihar won the award in the environmental sustainability category for his management of renewable energy and efficient street lighting projects.
Other award winners include:
- Lynda Hoare - Baw Baw Food Hub.
- Judy Farmer - Friends of Drouin’s Trees .
- Joan McColl - Regional Centre for Expertise.
- Hannah Alquier - Reducing single use plastic.
- Sean Dignum - Environmental Voice Advisory Committee Member, founder of the Neerim South Frog Festival through the local landcare group and championing the change from fossil fuel power at the Neerim South hospital to a biomass system.
- Lloyd Harrington - Food Hub and energy consultant with Energy Efficient Strategies.
- Kim Musgrove - Earthshack.
- Tammy Logan - Gippsland Unwrapped.
- Jackie Tims - Baw Baw Sustainability Network, one of three that was trained early on in sustainability assessment and conducted audits on our behalf for the “Sustainability Leaf” program, accrediting local businesses.
- Liz Clay - Organic farmer in Noojee, Baw Baw Food Hub, past chair of the Gippsland Climate Change Network and champions the local organic growing movement through the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements.
Find out more about Council’s focus on sustainability at Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2018-2022.
Quotes attributable to Mayor Cr Mikaela Power
“We congratulate Raj on this well-deserved award which recognises his commitment to creating a more environmentally sustainable community. We also acknowledge the other award recipients and thank them and the Baw Baw Sustainability Network for their valuable contributions to our community.”
Quotes attributable to Environment Officer Raj Manihar
“I am delighted to receive this award and thank the Baw Baw Sustainability Network for their kind recognition. I love coming to work every day and working alongside our community to achieve better environmental outcomes. The Baw Baw Sustainability Network are a fantastic organisation driving meaningful change and I thank them for this honour.”
Quotes attributable to Baw Baw Sustainability Network Member President McKelvie
“We’re so pleased to be able to recognise Raj and acknowledge all he does for our community with this award. His work makes an invaluable contribution to sustainability in Baw Baw Shire.”
Image: Council’s Environment Officer Raj Manihar and Baw Baw Sustainability Network President Malcolm McKelvie.
Image: (Back row left to right) Lynda Hoare, Judy Farmer, Joan McColl, Raj Manihar, Hannah Alquier and Sean Dignum. (Front row left to right) Lloyd Harrington, Kim Musgrove, Tammy Logan and Jackie Tims. Not pictured, Liz Clay.