Filming in Baw Baw
This information relates to commercial filming, including television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries, and music videos. Most commercial filming activities require Council’s approval for the use of a public space to make sure the activity meets Council regulations.
We will respond to your application within five business days of receiving it. However, if we need to make complex arrangements for your filming activity it may take us more than five days to issue a permit. There is currently no fee for filming approvals.
To apply to Council to film in Baw Baw, complete the online Filming in Baw Baw Application Form.
Low Impact Filming
Most people conducting commercial filming must apply for approval to use public space. However, if your filming activities are minor and low impact, you will need to obtain our permission for filming, but you won’t need to fill out the application form.
Low impact filming activities are defined by these criteria:
- a filming activity of six people or less (includes all production crew and talent)
- no more than one camera, one tripod, and handheld sound recording equipment
- public safety is maintained at all times and all public pathways, footpaths and roads must not be blocked
To seek approval for minor or low impact filming in Baw Baw, email the Events Officer or call 5624 2411.
Filming Approval Act 2014
In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.
The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective from 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film-friendly principles as well as the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across Victoria.
To find out more about the principles and guidelines, go to Victoria’s Film-Friendly Guidelines.
Advice and Enquiries
For advice and enquiries about filming in Baw Baw:
- Email the Events Officer
- Call the Events Officer on 5624 2411
- Write to the Events Officer at PO Box 304, Warragul, VIC 3820
- Visit the Events Officer at West Gippsland Arts Centre, corner Smith and Albert Streets, Warragul, VIC 3820