Food Safety

Food Health Banner

The Food Act 1984 regulates the sale of food (and beverages) for human consumption. Under this Act, food businesses are categorised into class (1, 2, 3 or 4) and must adhere to their class requirement to operate and sell food to the Victorian public. If you are unsure in which class your food business falls, you can use the Business Classification Tool.


Before starting up, all food businesses must register with the Council and understand their class requirements. It may be a prerequisite to register with Streatrader, undergo safe food handling training or create a food safety program.


Additional information can be found on the websites of Food Standards Australia & New Zealand and Department of Health Food Safety. Please contact us with additional queries on telephone (03) 5624 2541 or by email


If you'd like to read about the latest food safety news, download a copy of our newsletter Food for Thought.

Street Stalls, Festivals and Fetes

To ensure food offered for sale at street stalls, festivals and fetes is fit for human consumption, every person who prepares, packages and stores food needs to read Council’s guidelines.

Packaged Food Labelling

Detailed labelling requirement for packaged food.

Mobile Food Vans

Detailed information on how to register a mobile food van.

Honey Production and Sales

Details on requirements for Honey Production and Sales

Class 4 Food Business Requirements

Details on requirements for Class 4 Food Businesses.

Class 3 Food Business Requirements

Requirements fo a Class 3 Food Business

Class 2 Food Business Requirements

Requirements of a Class 2 Food Business

Class 1 Food Business Requirements

Requirements of a Class 1 Food Business

Food Business Classification and Definitions

Describes how Food Businesses are now classifed and explains definitions.

Domestic Kitchens - food sales guidelines

Requirements to operate and register a Domestic Kitchen.

Cleanliness and Food Hygiene

Guidelines regarding food hygiene.