Pension and Veteran Affairs Card Concession

You could be eligible for a concession on your municipal rates and charges if you have one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
  • Department Veteran Affairs Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • Department Veteran Affairs Gold Card - War Widow (WW).

To be eligible for a concession, your address on your card must match the property address and mailing address on your rates notice, and you must live at the property.

Visit one of our Customer Service Centres to complete a Municipal Rates Concession form. Once this has been completed, the form will go to the Rates team for verification and your rates will be credited the rebate.

Previous Year Rebate

You may also be eligible for a rebate for the previous year. You will need to have lived at the property and held a pension or Veteran Affairs card in that year. You are only entitled to the previous year. An application form will need to be completed and eligibility will be determined by Department of Human Services. If entitled your rates account will be credited and you will be notified via mail. You can contact the Rates team to discuss on 5624 2411.

Farm Rate

The Farm Rate concession is available to owners of rateable land that meet Council’s definition of farm land. Eligibility for the Farm Rate is not determined by the zoning of the land under the Baw Baw Planning Scheme. In other words, the fact that the property is zoned “rural” does not mean that it will be eligible for the farm rate.

If there is some doubt in relation to your eligibility, you may be requested to provide detailed information about farming activities conducted on your property. This could be in the form of a profit and loss statement, a business plan, or stock number.

In determining whether or not a property is eligible for the Farm Rate concession, the primary use or activity must satisfy the Council criteria.

For further information please call the Rates team on 5624 2411.