Please note, if there are no vehicles listed on this page, there are no vehicles currently impounded for unknown owners to claim in Baw Baw Shire.
Under Schedule 11 of the Local Government Act Baw Baw Shire Council has the power to remove unregistered or abandoned vehicles:
- Council may:
- move or impound any unregistered vehicle or vehicle considered by it to be abandoned (and anything on or attached to the vehicle.)
- Keep the vehicle in the place to which has been moved or any other place.
- Return the vehicle to its owner on payment of a fee: and or
- Sell, destroy, or give away the vehicle and anything in, on or attached to the vehicle, if the owner has not paid the associated fees within a time deemed reasonable by the Shire.
- Council, and anyone who obtains the vehicle from the Council under subclause (1)(d), is not liable to the owner of the vehicle or any other person in respect of any action taken under the subclause.
- The fee set for the purposes of subclause (1)(c) must not exceed an amount that reasonably represents the cost to the Council of impounding, moving, keeping and releasing the vehicle (including any relevant overhead and other indirect costs).