Bunyip State Park Fires - Community Update 18 April 2019

What is Council Doing/What is Council's Role

This update was issued on Friday 18 April and is valid until 3 May April. Click here to download a printable version of this Community Update.(PDF, 158KB)

  • Council is continuing to work with the emergency service agencies to prepare long-term Recovery Plans for the region.
  • Council is preparing a recovery community engagement strategy which will be publicly available. 
  • Council Officers are available to assist residents impacted to connect with the support they need to help with essential water replacement, cleaning up and removal of waste.
  • Council is strongly recommending to all community groups and associations within fire affected communities to apply for a Community Development Grant. This round of Community Development Grants close on 10 May 2019.  

Clean Up

  • A State Government Clean up program has been announced to support all the residents who were impacted by the devastating bushfires.
  • Uninsured property owners
    • Property owners who wish to register interest in participating in the clean-up program are able to call 1300 199 048 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and register their details.
  • Insured property owners  
    • Impacted property owners with insurance will already have been working with their insurers to identify clean-up needs and engage contractors. If you have not already been in contact with your insurance provider, you should do so now.
    • Insurers of impacted property owners are invited to participate in the clean-up program.
    • The state coordinated clean-up does not stop or delay these activities and works – it is intended to coordinate activities for those who are not covered by insurance.
  • Keeping safe and avoiding risks:
  • Treated timber ash
    • Ash from burnt timbers that have been treated with copper chrome arsenate (CCA) is a danger to people and animals.
  • More information is available on the Better Health Channel https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/HealthyLiving/copper-chrome-arsenic-cca-treated-timber
  • Asbestos risk

Community Grants

  • Council has identified the following grants that community groups can apply for to support their recovery. If you identify other grants that are available for communities, please contact Council so we can share the information.

Grant Program



Key Dates

Tackling tough times together

The tackling tough times together program helps communities access the resources they need to support one another through the drought. Open year round, grants up to $20,000 and $60,000 are available, with EOI’s invited for grants up to $150,000.


Closes 30 April 2019

Baw Baw Shire Council Community Development Grants

Multiple Categories Available including Minor Capital Works, Environmental Projects and Minor Equipment Grants

EOI for Minor Capital Works closes 29 March 2019.



Closes 10 May 2019

FRRR, ABC Heywire Youth Innovation Grants

Grants to help communities tackle the issues concerning young people across rural, regional and remote Australia


Opens April 2019

ANZ Seeds of Renewal

An ANZ funded program that aims to help build thriving communities in rural, regional and remote areas of Australia through the provision of Grants. Seeds of renewal also offers information technology equipment.


Opens July 2019

Caring for Ageing Rural Australians

A targeted program designed to benefit and support older people living in small rural and remote communities in Victoria


Opens August 2019



  • The community are advised that driving or entering beyond a road closure point could void any of your insurances. A full list of closures can be found on the VicRoads website www.vicroads.vic.gov.au
  • Roads and walking tracks around Bunyip State Park have been closed for community safety due to risks from several sources including falling trees/branches.
  • If you are travelling on the roads this holiday period, please stay safe and drop into a VicSES Driver Reviver location. For more information on the Driver Reviver locations across Victoria can be found via https://www.ses.vic.gov.au/get-ready/driver-reviver

Community Events

Community Support

  • Information contained below may be of use to yourself or your family members and friends. Concerns may become apparent quickly, or at any time after the event.
  • Case support workers are available to work with individuals by helping them navigate the various support services available including:
    • Financial assistance;
    • Mental health services and Family violence supports;
    • Services for repairing and rebuilding damaged properties and re-establishing livelihoods. 
  • To access the service, contact council or call 1800 560 760.
  • Further Information relating to the case management can be found via http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/relief
  • Community recovery fact sheets are available from the Council website via http://www.bawbawshire.vic.gov.au/CommunityBushfireUpdate
  • A short video on how you can help yourself to recover can be found via https://youtu.be/ia4ZU-KksyY
  • The better health channel has bushfire information that can be found via www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au

Water (Tank)

  • Department of Health and Human Services recommend that those with tank water check to ensure it is safe for consumption. Information on health and safety of tank water can be found via https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/HealthyLiving/bushfires-and-water-tanks
  • If contaminated, tanks should be professionally cleaned before you replenish your water supply. Council does not provide cleaning or replenishing services of tanks.

Water (Dam)

  • Property owners have until 2 May 2019 to apply to Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for replacement of Essential water.
  • Property owners who have had water taken from dams or other structures for fire-fighting purposes can apply to Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for Essential Water Replacement. Information on essential water replacement can be found via https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/recovery-after-an-emergency/public-land-recovery


Contact us

We’re here to help! For more information please contact us by calling 1 300 BAW BAW (1300 229 229) or 5624 2411 or emailing bawbaw@bawbawshire.vic.gov.au .