Notice is hereby given of three new Orders made by resolution of the Baw Baw Shire Council at its meeting on 13 December 2017 in accordance with the provisions of section 10A, section 25 and section 26 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (the Act).
As of 1 February 2018, the following Orders apply throughout the municipality:
- Pursuant to section 10A of the Act, Council will not accept any new registrations of a cat unless the cat is desexed or unless the cat is exempted under the Act from any requirement to be desexed.
Section 10B(1)(f) of the Act, resolves that the following classes of cat are exempt from the requirement to be desexed;
a) A cat that was currently registered with Council, and its registration continues to be current; and
b) A cat that is less than 6 months old.
- Pursuant to section 25 of the Act, all cats within Council’s municipal district are to be kept securely confined to the owner’s premises at all times, and are not to be at large outside the owner’s premises.
- Pursuant to section 26(2) of the Act, dogs must be restrained by a chain, cord or leash in all public places (other than those in private ownership) in Baw Baw Shire with the exception of Designated Off Leash Areas.
A dog may be exercised off leash in Designated Off Leash Areas, providing the owner or person responsible for the dog:
- Carries a chain, cord or leash sufficient bring the dog under effective control if the dog behaves in a manner which threatens any person or animal;
- Remains in effective voice or hand control of the dog so as to be able to promptly bring the dog under effective control by placing the dog on a chain, cord or leash if that becomes necessary; and
- Does not allow the dog to worry, attack, rush at or threaten any person or animal.
Council Revokes all Orders previously made pursuant to section 10A, section 25, and section 26 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
Chief Executive Officer