Australia Day - Awards and Events
Nominations for Australia Day Awards 2018 are now open. They will close at 5.00pm on Wednesday 15 November.
The purpose of the Baw Baw Shire Council Australia Day Awards 2018 is to honour Baw Baw Shire citizens who have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
Baw Baw citizens may be nominated for an award in the following categories:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Australia Day Medallion
- Community Event of the Year
- Community Contribution - Sporting Achievement
- Community Contribution - Environmental Achievement
- Community Contribution - Cultural Achievement
To be eligible for an award, nominated individuals must be Australian citizens who either live, work or study in Baw Baw Shire. Nominees should have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
Individuals cannot self-nominate and can only be nominated in one category. Community groups must be non-profit organisations, operating with Baw Baw Shire and must consist of three or more members.
Previous award winners are ineligible to win an award in the same category again.
In choosing the recipients of the Baw Baw Shire Australia Day Awards, nominees are assessed with regard given to:
- Significance and impact of contributions made.
- Demonstrated level of commitment to the betterment of the Baw Baw Shire community.
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made.
- Nature and length of activity or service.
- Future goals and likely impact on the Baw Baw Shire community.
- Previous awards and recognition received.
- Demonstrated excellence in their field.
- Individual contribution, whether in the course of employment, voluntary or both.
- Personal attributes of the nominee such as being an inspirational/positive role model for their peers, showing vision, leadership, innovation and creativity.
- Community groups must demonstrate that they meet a community need or priority.
Nominations can be made online through SmartyGrants, at Australia Day Awards Nominations 2018.
Nominations close at 5.00pm on Wednesday 15 November 2017.
Once nominations have closed, the selection panel will consider all eligible entries against the assessment criteria and select a winner in each of the categories. The selection panel consists of the Mayor and fellow Councillors of Baw Baw Shire Council.
Please contact Council’s Communications unit on 5624 2411 or by email.
There will be a number of events held across the Shire to celebrate Australia Day in 2018. More information about this will be available toward the end of 2017.
Congratulations to all the Baw Baw Shire Australia Day Award recipients for 2017!
- Citizen of the Year - Les Matkovich
- Australia Day Medallions - Christina Williams and Shirley Westerberg
- Community Contribution Cultural Achievement - Olivia's Place
- Community Contribution Sporting Achievement - Warragul Parkrun
Baw Baw Shire Council would also like to sincerely thank each of the individuals and groups who dedicate their time to organise Australia Day events across the Shire each year.