Pre-School Field Officer Services
A Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) is a person qualified in early childhood development who has experience in working with children who have additional needs.
The Preschool Field Officer service is funded by the State Government Department of Education and Training (DET) under the auspices of Baw Baw Shire Council.
Roles of a Preschool Field Officer
The role of the Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) is to provide support to kindergarten teachers and families of children with additional needs to assist in the developmental and learning of these individual children in kindergarten.
Parent permission is required before PSFO can work with the kindergarten teacher for the needs of an individual child. A form is available for parents to complete and sign.
The role of the PSFO includes:
- Providing support to the kindergarten teacher about including an individual child into the kindergarten program.
- Seeking parent/guardian permission to link up with your child’s specialist/doctor/paediatrician to gain information about your child’s developmental and learning needs so as to provide direction and ideas in the kindergarten program to suit your child’s needs.
- Advocating for children and families.
- Providing support and information to parents/guardians to help them to meet their children/family needs.
- Liaising with or referring parents/guardians to other children/family services and professionals.
- Linking parent/guardians with appropriate support groups.
Children with additional needs include:
- Children with developmental delays.
- Children with disabilities.
- Children with social/emotional needs.
- Children with challenging behaviour.
- Children with motor skill needs.
- Any child attending DET funded four year old kindergarten program or due to attend the following year whose parents or teachers have a particular concern
The PSFO can visit your home or kindergarten to discuss your child’s needs and assist with:
- Transitioning into kindergarten.
- Observing your child in the kindergarten program.
- Screening your child’s development.
- Assessing your child’s needs.
- Developing suitable programs for an individual child in kindergarten.
- Referring a child for further developmental/learning assessment.
Referrals can be received from:
- Kindergarten Teachers
- Maternal and Child Health Nurses
- Doctors and Paediatricians
- Other family and children’s service providers.
- Childcare Services
For further information please contact Heather Hawkins, Baw Baw Shire Council Pre School Field Officer.
Telephone: 5624 2552
Mobile: 0428 354 552
Email Heather Hawkins
Messages can also be left at Family and Children’s Services Reception by calling 5624 2540.