Celebrating Another Year with Our Amazing Volunteers
Published on 12 December 2018
Baw Baw Shire Council’s team of registered volunteers have been celebrated at the annual end of year volunteer appreciation event.
Deputy Mayor Cr Danny Goss spoke at the event, held last Friday at the Warragul Country Club, honouring the selfless contributions of the almost 400 volunteers registered with Council.
The event celebrates International Volunteers Day, held on 5 December this year, and also provides Council with an opportunity to formally recognise and appreciate the amazing work of all volunteers.
Volunteers dedicate their time to provide vital services and:
- Deliver meals on wheels each day,
- Provide transport to medical appointments,
- Have friendly visitors to the isolated or lonely,
- Help with dog walking and pet care,
- Provide transport to shopping centres, and
- Assist with social support activity groups.
Over the last year, registered volunteers have:
- Delivered over 23 thousand meals on wheels to 258 clients.
- Taken over 500 community transport trips to medical appointments.
- Offered 770 hours of friendly visiting.
- Taken over 1 thousand clients on 185 trips to shopping centres.
For more information about volunteering opportunities with Council, please go to www.bawbawshire.vic.gov.au/Volunteering
Quotes attributable to Deputy Mayor Cr Danny Goss
“There is no kinder act than helping someone less fortunate than yourself. Our volunteers make our community stronger and better. Without your support Council would not be able to deliver many vital services to the most vulnerable members of our community.”
“Over the last year, our dedicated team of volunteers have provided over 26,000 hours of service. This is an incredible, self-sacrificing achievement. We appreciate the time you put aside to help others and thank you for your contribution to our community.”
Image: Nola Blent, Carol and Bill Grafton.
Image: Kath Fusinato, Lyn Furlong, Val Groombridge, Margaret Gorick.
Image: John and Monica Gidley.