Planning Scheme Amendments

What is a planning scheme amendment?

Sometimes a planning scheme may need to be changed to reflect new circumstances. Changes to the scheme are known as amendments. An amendment may involve a change to a planning scheme map (often a rezoning) or a change to the ordinance or written part of the scheme or both.


The amendment process

Anyone can ask a planning authority to prepare an amendment. A proponent must be able to demonstrate to the planning authority (usually the Council) adequate justification as to why an amendment should be prepared.

The Minister for Planning must give authorisation for an amendment to be prepared. An amendment is usually placed on public exhibition for at least one month. If there are submissions which cannot be resolved by the planning authority, the Minister for Planning will appoint an independent panel to consider submissions if the proposed amendment is to proceed. When it receives the report from the panel, the planning authority must either adopt or abandon the amendment.

An amendment becomes part of the planning scheme when it is approved by the Minister and notice is given in the Victorian Government Gazette. The Planning and Environment Act 1987 makes provision for a combined planning permit and amendment process where required.


Current Baw Baw Planning Scheme Amendments:


Amendment C104 - Implementation of Settlement Management Plan

Amendment C108 - Warragul and Drouin Precinct Structure Plans

Amendment C110 - Walhalla Review

For Further Information:

Contact Strategic Planning on 5624 2411 or